586,104 active members*
3,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Problem with VFS5 driver parameters arrow 1000

Problem with VFS5 driver parameters arrow 1000

Good day,

Greetings from Colombia, A few days ago I bought a vfs5 kollmorgen driver, but without being very clear about how it came, when it arrived it came with factory parameters, I already managed to connect it through software but I can't find the clear parameters for my machine, which is a arrow 1000. Could you help me configure it? thank you.

Do you still have the original drive? I would read the parameters from that if possible and transfer those to the new one since that would be the best way to ensure they are correct.

The drive configuration depended on some machine options but there was a standard set that applied to most of the Arrow 1000s. The orientation (P1) is machine specific though so it will need to be found again if you can't extract it from the old drive.

Re: Problem with VFS5 driver parameters arrow 1000

Quote Originally Posted by maver1ck View Post
    Do you still have the original drive? I would read the parameters from that if possible and transfer those to the new one since that would be the best way to ensure they are correct.

The drive configuration depended on some machine options but there was a standard set that applied to most of the Arrow 1000s. The orientation (P1) is machine specific though so it will need to be found again if you can't extract it from the old drive.
    Good afternoon

We hired a person who took the old driver and tried to extract the information. According to what he tells us, he did the parameterization, but I also sometimes see him trying different possibilities to try to reach the appropriate configuration. He has been going about 10 times to try to configure it and although has advanced, it has not found the optimal parameterization.

We have the software to do the configuration but we feel that we especially lack screenshoots where it shows us the data correctly and we do not have them

sorry for my english, greetings from Colombia

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenoat View Post
    Good afternoon

We hired a person who took the old driver and tried to extract the information. According to what he tells us, he did the parameterization, but I also sometimes see him trying different possibilities to try to reach the appropriate configuration. He has been going about 10 times to try to configure it and although has advanced, it has not found the optimal parameterization.

We have the software to do the configuration but we feel that we especially lack screenshoots where it shows us the data correctly and we do not have them

sorry for my english, greetings from Colombia
    Another question,

I wanted to ask you if we can extract a card that has the information from the old driver and install the new one. We are considering all options since we have had the machine idle for 6 months.

And how could we extract the information? thanks so much por your time and effort

People do not realize that the VFS5 user variables are stored on RAM that is in a Dallas Real-Time Clock Chip with an internal battery.
    Once the internal Battery has gone below the voltage level to maintain the RAM Memory; the Chip MUST be replaced and then reloaded.
    This is normally done by Kollmorgen VFS5 drive technicians that will also clean the drive, replace fans, replace bad capacitors,
    test the inputs and outputs functions on the I/O board, replace the Bios Chip and reload the Drive Program listed on the Front of the drive along with the drive "program variables".
    After this the "user variables" are put back into the drive on-site using the OEM documentation from the machine tool builder for that specific drive and spindle motor.
    The machine tool builder in this case was Cincinnati UK in Birmingham England; now defunct; but data is available from Fives Group, Hebron, KY (former Cincinnati owner) and other
    Service people who have maintained the UK documentation. There is one Service Group in the UK that has the documentation as well.

As I mentioned, the variables will vary based on what your machine options are (i.e. spindle speed, HP, etc.) so won't post values here because they would most likely not match your machine.

Any time I have replaced a VFS5 drive, the following variables are the only ones I have had to change. If you use the values for these variables from your old drive, it should work as long as you purchased the correct replacement drive (and the original drive was working with those settings).
    GEARIC
    GEARIO
    GEAROC
    GEAROO
    VXDENC
    VXDENO
    VXNUMC
    VXNUMO
    MORNT
    VORNT
    X41
    X42
    X43
    X45
    X47
    X50
    X220
    ACC
    DEC
    P1
    P2

Sevenoat,
    People do not understand that the VFS5 user variables and program are stored on RAM (CMOS memory) that is in a Dallas Real-Time Clock Chip with an INTERNAL battery embedded inside the Chip package.
    Once the INTERNAL Battery has gone below the voltage level to maintain the RAM (Memory); the Chip MUST be replaced and then reloaded.
    This is normally done by Kollmorgen VFS5 drive technicians that will also clean the drive, replace fans, replace bad capacitors.
    These batteries have a life span of less then 10 years at best. Your machine is much older than that.
    If it has NOT been repaired by people with Kollmorgen knowledge and expertise; then it probably will lose or corrupt anything that is manually
    programmed into it until it is properly repaired.
    Reference info:
    A brief introduction to the spindle servo module VFS5 – CNC_Principle_Repair
    https://www.cncwiki.org/index.php?ti...le_view_mobile
    Three examples of Kollmorgen VFS5 servo repair – CNC_Principle_Repair
    https://www.kollmorgen.com/developer...-bds5-and-vfs5
    Best Wishes on your repair!