586,103 active members*
3,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > HAAS ST 20 Y Lathe Coolant Spraying Out Where The Coolant Line Meets The Turret

Question HAAS ST 20 Y Lathe Coolant Spraying Out Where The Coolant Line Meets The Turret

Hello all,

We are having a issue with our coolant system on our HAAS ST 20 Y Lathe as of late.
    Coolant is spraying out where the coolant line meets the turret. Pass the coolant shut off valve inside the machine.
    Looking up info on the web has been less than helpful.

Not sure if there is a seal that needs to be replaced or the turret alignment is off.
    Any information or idea would be greatly appreciated.

Photos are attached.

Thank You

Re: HAAS ST 20 Y Lathe Coolant Spraying Out Where The Coolant Line Meets The Turret

Take a small putty knife or thin screwdriver and pry the nozzle back and blow it out with air. The nozzle is spring loaded and chips will get in there.

Re: HAAS ST 20 Y Lathe Coolant Spraying Out Where The Coolant Line Meets The Turret

I appreciate the info. Yes there was some chips there, Some imbedded into the O-Ring at the end of the nozzle.
    Ended up taking off the coolant transfer nozzle and replacing the O-ring altogether. Cleaned up the hole thing and add plumber's tape to the threads.
    It worked perfectly!! Coolant is flowing like ti should and tool wear is back down.

Thank you for your help rwskinner. There little to no info on the Coolant Transfer Assembly.

I'm curious, was yours a standard O-Ring, or one of the pre-formed rubber rings from Haas? I've seen both.

As far as I'm aware it was the original one from HAAS. Cant imagine it being replaced before.
    The one I replaced it with was part of kit that happen to have one that fit it perfectly. Don't know how long it will hold up but it solved the problem for now.

Please check your turret gear box oil ours got coolant in the gear box oil from the coolant nozzle spraying out and did damage to the cam plate.

Is there an easier way to check it other than removing the top cover?

I don't think so.