586,337 active members*
3,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Handling "stripping failure" alarm

This question is two-sided. Regarding stripping failure the operating manual says:

"Confirm that the punch is not stuck in the worksheet. The operation can then be resumed by pressing the "START" button. If the punch is stuck in the worksheet, dismount the punch and die and check them".

1) So when I get this error I take a look at the punch and I´ve seen two different cases: best case the punch is up so I just press "START" and continue. The second case the punch is down, close to the sheet, so I do not know for sure if it´s stuck or not. In this case I have pressed "Reset" and the punch goes up, so it was not actually stuck , but the program gets "disrupted" (to describe the problem somehow) and I get an error if I press start (I seem to recall T-CODE not found, I am not quite sure).

So regarding this, how do I check whether the punch is actually stuck or not ? Can I use the RAM position switch to the top dead center position to check this ?

2) I have not met this scenario yet, but I guess sooner or later I might... What happens when the punch is actually stuck or broken and the sheet is warped. Will I need to get in there with hammer in hand until I can release the sheet ?

Re: Handling "stripping failure" alarm

1) Once you press the reset button, the error will clear but the press no longer knows what tool to use or where in the quadrant it is. Yes you can use the RAM position switch to check if a punch is stuck.
    2) Yes you will have to get in there and release the punch from the sheet by any means. Hammer, Pry bar, Reciprocating saw, Acetylene torch. I've seen people use a forklift with a chain attached to the sheet to pull it out. (Not Recommended)

Thanks for your answer, clear as usual. Hopefully I will not need the forklift

The oil change shop I usually go to when the time comes has one guy do the job and another guy check everything afterwards... if the oil filter is tight, etc. I was thinking about implementing a two person control regarding tooling, particularly when a tool is changed.

What kind of control do you do in your job ?

The person who screws things up, gets to fix it. Lol That has always been the control. 99.9% of the time, I am double and triple checking my own work because I've been there and it is not fun. I am currently training someone. It will be 6 months of myself looking over his shoulder double checking his work before I am comfortable with him being on his own. We are a small shop and small hiccups can have a big impact on the company.
    I have heard other shops will make the employee cover the loss if the loss was due to negligence. That is a bit extreme in my opinion.