586,096 active members*
3,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Upgrade servo drives

Im thinking of changing from the A2100 to the Centroid OAK for parts avaliablitiy as well as features. The issue i have run into is the servo drives. I would like to keep the servo motors to reduce cost but want to swap to a newer drive with the Centroid. They like Delta, Yaskawa and SureServo 2 drives. Looking at Delta first cause the website is half usable, I found that the Delta A2 line is only 110v servo output. So thats a no go as the servo's are 230v AC. Does anyone know which line of Yaskawa Sigma drives can support 230v AC output if any or Sureservo2 would be fine also.
    Im looking for an out that supports,
    230v AC, 29A max, 11.9A max cont. Single or three phase 220v as the input preferably 3 phase.

Thanks in advanced

Re: Upgrade servo drives

Hi,
    I use 750W Delta B2 servos and they are direct off-line 240VAC. Delta A2's are the same.

750W B2 kit (servo/drive/cables) $438USD:

https://www.fasttobuy.com/flange-80m...er_p28084.html

750W A2 kit (L model, ie not CANOpen, Ethercat etc ie Step/Dir) $682USD

https://www.fasttobuy.com/ecmac10807...le_p27772.html

The B2 has a 160,000 count per rev encoder while the A2 has a 1,289,000 count per rev encoder. I personally have found the 160,000 to be way more than I can use, so the extra resolution of the A2
    is not really an advantage. There is one feature of the A2 which is valuable, and that is that it has a secondary encoder input and that it can close the position loop on that encoder, a glass scale
    for instance. Some call it 'full closed loop', I think it an imprecise term, but none the less its still widely used.

Do you need such a feature? If you do then its there for you, but if you don't then you can save significant dollars by using the B2 series servos.

Craig

Re: Upgrade servo drives

Quote Originally Posted by nate4567 View Post
    Im thinking of changing from the A2100 to the Centroid OAK for parts avaliablitiy as well as features. The issue i have run into is the servo drives. I would like to keep the servo motors to reduce cost but want to swap to a newer drive with the Centroid. They like Delta, Yaskawa and SureServo 2 drives. Looking at Delta first cause the website is half usable, I found that the Delta A2 line is only 110v servo output. So thats a no go as the servo's are 230v AC. Does anyone know which line of Yaskawa Sigma drives can support 230v AC output if any or Sureservo2 would be fine also.
    Im looking for an out that supports,
    230v AC, 29A max, 11.9A max cont. Single or three phase 220v as the input preferably 3 phase.

Thanks in advanced
    The part in bold has me concerned that you are thinking of trying to pair another brands AC servo drives with your existing drives. From what I understand most AC servo drives are HIGHLY brand specific, you cannot mix and match.

You should start by posting details on your existing servos. Otherwise we cannot really tell you what will or will not work with what you have.