586,102 active members*
2,721 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Arrow 500 power cuts out

Has anyone experienced having their mill cut out in the middle of it running? It often times conks out when the air compressor kicks on. Could there be a component that is sensitive to the voltage drop when the compressor turns on? I have swapped the PSR and spindle drive with a spares and it didn’t seem to make a difference. Thank you in advance!

Re: Arrow 500 power cuts out

Precisionatl, You do not give control type; A2100, Fanuc, CT-Control, machine serial number 70xx-Y0x-yyyy, Model type Exx, Control Diagram # 9120xxxxAxx.
    Please provide this information so we can help. If it is an A2100 what alarms are you getting in the Alarm History?
    What do you have to do to restart the control, or machine electrics?
    GWood

Happy new Year! Sorry for the delay. The arrow 500 is a ERO B model. It has the a A2100 control with diagram # 91203577. When the machine conks out the head drops and gives alarm 39-41 Axes drive ready signal missing.

To power back on, I just clear the alarm and hit the green power button and can then align the machine.

Does this happen with the spindle turned off in a warm-up program? There should be an alarm on an AXIS Drive at the time of the fault.
    You may need to film it in slow-motion to figure it out.
    Your voltages should be 240VAC line to line and 1/2 that measured to ground. All legs should be balance within a few volts;
    if properly wired and the correct transformer was used.

Greg, Thank you for the suggestions! I will try a warm up PGM and film slow mo!

...inspect (if possible) or replace the main High Voltage relay/ contact's for Spindle Drive. Old age and mileage from Arcing they surprisingly do wear out

good hunting,
    DJ

I have a '97 Arrow 500 that's doing nearly the same thing, Axis Drive Signal Missing alarm, and the machine shuts down as if the e-stop was hit. Re-power, confirm tool alignment. In December of '22 sent the power supply module and spindle drive in to Kilroy, they went thru them and tested them, the units came back with the tested stickers on them. Re-installed the units....No Change. Still getting the same alarm. Axis Drive Signal Missing. Call Ganzel Machine tool service, been working with Lloyd G. on it, he says pull the Z axis drive out and remove the cover and wiggle the connectors that can be wiggled, did that and the problem went away for a few days.

As long as I program the spindle RPM at or below 1500 RPM I can run tool to tool reliably with no alarm, when I program above 1500 RPM I get the alarm and it shuts down.
    To run the spindle over 1500 RPM I have too program in a M00 program stop right after the tool change with a spindle speed of 2400 RPM, at the program stop I turn the spindle speed knob all the way down, engage rapid override, hit the go button again and bring the spindle speed up with the knob all the way up to maximum 150% spindle speed at which point I can run 3000 RPM but no more than 3000 RPM. In addition, when fooling the spindle to run at 3000 RPM I get a slight fluxuation in spindle RPM like 1% to 3%, I can see and hear the spindle RPM dancing around.

Could this problem be the high voltage relay for the spindle drive?? As mentioned above for the other guys Arrow problem. What does the high voltage relay look like. I'd really like to get this problem figured out.

gwood,
    I was finally able to film the machine when it has the problem. The Z axis seems to fault out first then the rest. Hopefully you will be able to watch the video from my google photos link below. The picture is the state of the drives after the fault. Thanks!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4QrvihJsoYwkj1qK7

I'm Not seeing a RED fault light and do not know what is happening to the Z-Slide at the time the LEDs go off except for a loud clunk heard.
    Is that the Z-Axis or the Electrical contactors in the cabinet?
    You are losing the Enable signal and Control Ready signal for Z-Axis.
    Do you have further explanation of what Z-Axis or toolchanger or Spindle is doing; if anything?
    After I downloaded the files from Google drive I see a picture where the Z-Control Volts is OFF; this should not be so.
    Has this machine been running OK?
    Is the incoming power 240 VAC line to line?
    Do your Drive PS4 power supply voltages daisy chained to the Axis Drive measure within tolerance?
    Electrical Schematics are on the Serial plate 9120xxxxyyy

It looks pretty clear in the video that the issue is being caused by the Z-axis drive losing Control Volts (and drive ready at virtually the same time).

This means the Z-axis drive is losing the 18V that it needs to control it's logic process. Without control volts, it can not hold the drive ready signal closed. Once the drive ready signal is lost, the A2100 will see this and disable all servos which is why all of the drives shut down shortly after.

Since your X and Y axis drives are not losing the control volts at the same time, the 18V is not dropping out completely so I'd start with the connections out of the Y drive and into the Z to ensure you have good contact.

Beyond the connection issue, your PSR may be allowing the 18V to drop too much under a load (while the spindle ramps up), or the Z-axis drive may be faulty and dropping out even though the 18V is still within tolerance.