586,062 active members*
4,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Casting Metals > Cost and feasibility of a new operation.

Cost and feasibility of a new operation.

I deal in high-end signage and my customers are starting to ask more often about brass and aluminum cast signage. I have not found anyone in my area (Asheville, NC) that does lost wax casting which was recommended for low hassle finish and high turn around. The request volume is high enough that I either need to locate a source or put in my own operation.

I am basically looking for a crash course in production and cost to see if this is worth adding to my product line.

1. Is lost wax the method I should be looking into for finish quality and speed?
    2. What is the speed at which items can be cast using a recommended process - 1 per hour, per minute?
    3. What would a labor intensive casting operation cost to put together? I have access to a large number of people to do manual labor.
    4. What is the learning curve? How safe can the operation be? I know aluminum is more dangerous than brass.
    5. Are raw materials generally able to be purchased locally or are they usually trucked in?

Is anyone reading this looking to boost their hobby with weekend or night work –or- add to their production per month? I have people and equipment to do all the cast preparation and finishing work, we only need the actually pouring done.
    Worry about success, failure takes care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Laff Riot
    I deal in high-end signage and my customers are starting to ask more often about brass and aluminum cast signage. ...The request volume is high enough that I either need to locate a source or put in my own operation.

1. Is lost wax the method I should be looking into for finish quality and speed?
    2. What is the speed at which items can be cast using a recommended process - 1 per hour, per minute?
    3. What would a labor intensive casting operation cost to put together? I have access to a large number of people to do manual labor.
    4. What is the learning curve?
    Do your customers really care if its actually metal? Or would a cold- cast metal-like product be acceptable? Costs stay down and quick turnaround, and looks can be as good.

The intro on this site shows a quick and relatively easy way to cast resins
    :http://www.alumilite.com/

You can add bronze, brass, aluminium powders to the resins to get a product that has the look of metal - and durability (read no polishing) of plastics. For more on cold Metal casting check out: http://www.smooth-on.com/casting.htm#Powder

[both companies have helpful literature/tech details on site and via mail] You'll note the demold time can range from 10 minutes to maybe an hour.

I've done some small statues (buddhas) using bronze powder and if you add a bit of weight - you can't tell the difference from a metal one.

Again, the customer requirements are the key.

Cheers - Jim
    PS my Dad sold the family sign company years ago 'cause we couldn't get the labor pool - congradulations - you've got some.
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Here's an article from someone in your town. Contact them and maybe they can help you with options.

http://www.goldenspirit.com/Lostwaxc...waxcasting.htm

Another option might be rubber plaster mold casting. Look at www.aljcast.com as an example. I don't know of anyone in your area.
    But I think that this process is easier to do than investment casting and can make larger parts.

Good luck