586,077 active members*
3,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Reading axis position and tool offsets by an external PLC

Reading axis position and tool offsets by an external PLC

Hi All

I need to integrate an external automation device that needs to work in tandem with CNC axes position. For that I need to obtain realtime position of the axis as well as the active tool offsets. I know we can use the MTconnnect to get that kind of data but as I understand there is a latency in the data transfer which can be as much as 10 sec. The most my application can tolerate is probably 100 milliseconds delay in reading the active data. I am open to both hardware as well as software solutions that can work with a Fanuc 30i but not limited to just that one controller.

Thanks for your help

Re: Reading axis position and tool offsets by an external PLC

That is an interesting 'problem'. I don't know what the maximum latency of MTconnnect on a 30i is, but I suspect a lot less than 10s.
    A possible solution is using I/O Link (I did that before).
    I am interested in discussing this, if there is a real product opportunity. 289 389 6117 Eastern Time Zone.

Fanuc has a function "Position Switch".
    When an axis reaches a predetermined position, set by entering position in parameter, the control turns on an output F70, F71 (and others for direction) which is sent to the PMC.
    See Fanuc Connection Manual.

I know about the PMC communication, it doesn't give me realtime axis position, just ON/OFF bits set by certain conditions

I need to have much more info before I can suggest a solution; it CAN be done in real time, if needed, but it may be too expensive.