586,103 active members*
3,650 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > What is the minimum ceiling height needed for an 1100?

What is the minimum ceiling height needed for an 1100?

I'm in the market for a used tormach and have been restricting my search to a 440/770 based on my garage ceiling height. Wondering if I really need to do that, Tormachs website says 96" height is needed, but if I take the ridgid cable chain off the top and lowered the machines leveling feet how much height does the machine system actually need?

Re: What is the minimum ceiling height needed for an 1100?

specs on the 770 is a height of roughly 7.5ft . my 440's are mounted on g0704 bases and I can look straight ahead over the mills and see the wall . I'm guessing the tormach base isn't going to be much taller than the ones I use since the specs show a 6ft height .

...there are machine Site and space requirement on page 34 of 293 in their Operator's Manual should help ya.
    https://tormach.com/support/mill/1100mx-installation

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...there are machine Site and space requirement on page 34 of 293 in their Operator's Manual should help ya.
    https://tormach.com/support/mill/1100mx-installation

DJ
    Thanks for looking it up, but unfortunately that doesn't help. There's adjustable feet and a cable chain that doesn't need to be there if I'm counting inches of clearance. 96" is the factory awnser, I'm looking for a real worst case scenario.

...1st Project to design /machine Light Bar adapter to re-mount side ways..

The spec states 96 but 93 is the actual height, there is a few inches of head room in the spec in case you have to extend any of the feet for leveling. How much room do you have?
    You could probably modify the cable chain bracket to give yourself a few inches as well.
    Note that this height is measured at full Z+.

Thinking worst case scenario, I could move the z travel stop that interfaces with the z axis limit switch by an inch or two up if I had to and path pilot wouldn't yell at me for causing errors right?

...if the travel of XY is only 18" x 11" just build a ceiling box where ever final location is going be. Also, I don't think telling Tomach you have changed something to something is not a good idea, would void any Warranty I'll bet. Another idea maybe after saying that if the machine has no TC just set Z0 Home Position lower and loose some Z stoke travel.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...if the travel of XY is only 18" x 11" just build a ceiling box where ever final location is going be. Also, I don't think telling Tomach you have changed something to something is not a good idea, would void any Warranty I'll bet. Another idea maybe after saying that if the machine has no TC just set Z0 Home Position lower and loose some Z stoke travel.

DJ
    Doubt my landlord would be supportive of cutting a hole is his ceiling. If you know how limit switches work it seems like a super simple approach that will work. The only way it wouldn't is if the computer is programed to know that distance traveled is always a set length, whatever the max travel is. But with stepper motors and no xyz encoders that seems unlikely to impossible to accomplish by tormach.

you can easily move the limit switch , but as stated any mods will void warranty if you were to inform tormach that you made the change . Just never tell them or have them move it at the factory . I had a question for tormach when I was hooking up a 4th axis , this was before they offered a 4th for the 440's . I was flat out told that any mod would void warranty , and they never answered my simple question

You could make a new limit-switch-hitting-block that's taller and bolts in the same place which would be completely reversible. The machine wants to hit the limit on Z Ref.

The soft-limits could complain in theory, but nobody ever goes to machine Z zero and there's not even a limit switch there, so it won't. It will act just like you have a fixture plate or something on the table.

Depends on if you need their stand or full enclosure. The starter package is just the bare mill with no base or enclosure. That's how I bought mine. I built a stand to save money and ended up adding a full enclosure around it later. I have the PCNC1100 Series II which is before they added the cable chain. My custom enclosure is 7ft tall exactly with no loss of travel. But I never use flood coolant, too much hassle to maintain the sump in a home shop. A diy fogbuster works fine for me.