586,104 active members*
3,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alarms and fixes

Looking for input from Everyone.

What alarms have you had on your Haas and what fixed the problem.

I recently had an overvoltage alarm on my TM1 that would shut down the servos any time I stopped the spindle from over about 1600 RPM. I needed a DC power supply for $2700.

I often get a "tool unclamp" alarm. I have replaced the limit switch, played with air pressure, made sure the tool holder was traveling around .7" out when the tool is unclamped. The only thing that really helped was a small air tank on the machine side of the regulator with a large hose tee'd into the air line to help keep constant air pressure. Credit to one of the guru's on this site for the idea.

Lately I have a message on screen that says
    Y=0@\475 or something like that when I power up the machine. I can also get to the message if I hit the alrm/msgs button twice.

Haven't called my HFO yet about that one. Machine seems to work perfectly otherwise.

High and Low gear won't shift fix

This is common .. the small orfice gets clogged and will not allow air to travel through to make the shift ... be careful not to make it too big ... it will shift too hard and damage your gears if the hole is made too big

"1) Remove the "Z" axis cover
    2) Unbolt the cover support behind the spindle motor, but you dont have to remove it from the machine. Just swing it out of the way. Be cautious, not to damage the wire track.
    3) Find and unscrew the 2 copper 1/8" lines at the valve manifold, that go to the transmission gearbox.
    4) Remove the copper adaptors at the manifold. There is a .010" hole in both adaptors.
    5) Drill the .010" hole out to .030", clean and re-aasemble the lines to the manifold.
    6) Remove and clean the double solenoid valve on the right side of the manifold block with contact cleaner. DO NOT LOSE THE VALVE GASKET.
    7) Reassemble the valve and cover support bracket.
    8) Turn on the disconnect, Power restart and home out, then try low gear speeds, and then high gear speeds.
    9) Re-assemble the "Z" axis cover.
    Hope this helps."

from JoBwan

Its been a while since I had any alarms and I may not recall exactly the words, but I believe I would have infrequent (and mysterious) "Z axis overheat" alarms, which would result in the "Servos off". This was on a 96 VF3. The 'overheat' did not seem to coincide with the actual operation of the machine, it could happen while the machine was just sitting. This is a pressure counterbalanced head, and the pressure was up to spec.

When I acquired a 4th axis and hooked it up, then the occassional "A axis overheat" alarm would occur. Finally one day this alarm would not clear. It turned out to be a small power supply failure, the one which I believe gets its power from the DC bus, and supplies a low voltage to all the drives. Since replacing that, I've had no reoccurances of axis overheat alarms unless there is a real reason for them
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"Lately I have a message on screen that says
    Y=0@\475 or something like that when I power up the machine. I can also get to the message if I hit the alrm/msgs button twice."

This is a message that is typed in on the message screen ... someone must of typed it in .. you can delete it by going to message on your display buttons and delete message ... everytime the machine powers on the message pops up if there is one

Thanks alot for the help i'm gonna give it a try when i get into work tomorrow and i'll let ya'll know how it turns out. thanks again

havnt seen to many

I ran a VF-3 for about 4 years, actually 2 different ones. One had a 2 speed spindle, and the other didn't. The first one ran great, I don't remember it throwing any alarms other than ones for power and air. These were usually when the lights would flicker or the air compressor would need to be serviced. The second one was supposed to be a newer machine, it had a bigger body cause it had held more tooling, but was a basic model other than that. I remember it throwing a couple codes for a while, kept getting worse till it finally wouldn't run at all. It was something like Z servo failure and Z over travel limit. We called the Haas service people we used, I don't know there name. The were very helpful but we messed up the first thing they told us to do. We were supposed to tap a control board with something insulated so it wouldn't kill us. And that is no joke, it was a high voltage board. I had also talked to them about the charge on the counter weight, but they said that wouldn't do that. In the end the board had to be replaced, cause it was over heating and one of the transistors had come loose from the heat sink, the new one was bolted down instead of soldiered. And they had to put a little more in the counter weights charge cause it was low, the service tech said that probably made the board run a little hotter and didn't help, but ultimately that board was a problem and would have probably failed sooner or later.

071113-2201 EST USA

HAILINHAAS:

I should be able to put any 7 bit ASCII character into a comment, and/or into a DPRNT string.

When loading a program anything that is received should be put into HAAS memory no matter what the error is. If any errors exist flag their location, and inhibit any execution of the program. However, allowing editing.

On execution of DPRNT functions I can overflow your internal buffer even when running at 115.2 kbaud. This should do something, like limit execution of the CNC program until the buffer has some space.

Any time you generate an error message it should be unique to one single error and not include the word OR. One needs to know precisely what was the error source rather than having to guess. Certainly the code that detected the error knows exactly what it detected.

A number of operations should be executed at program execution time rather than at lookahead time. For example DPRNT.