586,075 active members*
3,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lofting a flange

G'day all,
    not sure if i described the title right. I am trying to redesign a water bridge a water bridge for a project motor. I need to move the thermostat housing at 45 degrees an about 80mm further over. I've tried numerous ways and not having much luck with the finished product. I thought i may be able to loft it over but can't seem to get that to work. I did insert another plane at 45 degrees and manged to insert the sketch onto both planes but can't get them to loft for some reason. Probably missing something simple but obviously i must be simpler lol.

I hope someone can help. I know my description probably isn't the best
    Tried uploading the file but didn't work
    Regards Bob

Re: Lofting a flange

Hi Sud - Publish some screen shots of what your doing. Not enough info at the moment to understand your issue. Peter

Won't let me screen shot. I tried posting the file earlier but didn't work. Will try again and see what happens.

Ok managed to upload a file. What i want to do is make a body the shape of the 2 flanges. Basically loft from one to the other but can't get it happening
    Regards Bob

Hi Sud - You can't snip your screen? You will need guide curves and that will loft easily. The reason it won't loft as is, is because the loft has to turn through itself to loft. The loft tries to project perpendicular to the section shape. If you put in guide curves you will see this occur. You will have to move the flange until it has a smooth pathway. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails loft.jpg  

Thanks Peter, i will give that a try
    Regards Bob

Well i tried that but still no joy. I can't pick both sketches with a guideline and when i pick the sketch i have to do it one section at a time and then i get a error message saying to pick a continuous line. I'll try it in Fusion with a sweep and see if it works how i want.
    Regards Bob

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy View Post
    Well i tried that but still no joy. I can't pick both sketches with a guideline and when i pick the sketch i have to do it one section at a time and then i get a error message saying to pick a continuous line. I'll try it in Fusion with a sweep and see if it works how i want.
    Try extruding each of your sketches to get a solid. Then loft solid face to solid face. Give that a try. But it is tough geometry to loft cleanly because of the curvature required