586,104 active members*
3,377 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Limits Not Always Working

Had to re locate my cnc control panel and this required to splice all cables including the ESS ethernet. All is working good but I noticed when I move manually the axis sometimes the limits are not working (axis pass the limit but axis does not stop).

Any ideas why?

Thanks
    Nicolas

Re: Limits Not Always Working

I'd say either your limit switch isn't working, or the signal from it isn't reaching the control panel.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by kolias View Post
    Had to re locate my cnc control panel and this required to splice all cables including the ESS ethernet. All is working good but I noticed when I move manually the axis sometimes the limits are not working (axis pass the limit but axis does not stop).

Any ideas why?

Thanks
    Try to replace a new limit switch, if the new limit is working fine, then the old one should be broken.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Thanks for the replies....

Before the re wiring all Limits were working properly and after the re wiring all again working good but "occasionally" some they don't, kind of strange.

I replaced the Ethernet cable with a new one and will give it a try again.

All splices were done properly by soldering and heat shrink sleeves over them + electric tape. If this work was not done properly no Limit would work.

I know it's a strange problem, I will report back when I finish further testing
    Nicolas

I think I found the problem with my limit switches,

I have a 12VDC temperature display unit which indicates the spindle cooling water temperature, it's about 3"x3"x1"high box, Before the re wiring it was located outside the control panel and away from any wiring not for any particular reason, it just looked nice there.

After the re wiring, I locate it on top of the X axis and just happened close to the limits wiring. Then yesterday I change the location again close to the X axis limits and when I started the cnc the X axis was only moving to +X regardless the keyboard button I used. Then it hit me that this box interfer with the limits.

I change again its location further away from any wiring and so far all is working good! Never thought a 12VDC unit will interfer with anything on a cnc.
    Nicolas