586,103 active members*
3,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > EdingCNC > Can I kindly ask for your help? EdingCNC 720

Can I kindly ask for your help? EdingCNC 720

OK. I think I have made a too fast decision, but it already happen, so...

In May last year I was diagnosed with melanoma cancer. The day I have got the diagnosis I have bought more wood and ordered a Compact Line 0604 CNC machine kit from Sorotec. I felt, that if I want to change my technology I have to do it now. I was planning that for quite some time and my health was a kick in my axx. I am an archtop guitar builder and wanted to streamline some of my work improving repeatability of some parts, mainly made of wood and brass. I do design in 3D, but until now I made all of my parts by hand and never used cnc directly. 3D design allows me to design avoiding conflicts and making design changes without losing broad picture. I have used before third party cnc services to make parts and forms from my 3D models.

Over the last few months, whenever my treatment allowed me, I have assembled the electronics and mechanical part of the machine. The cnc board is EdingCNC 720. I can now home the machine and move all the axes through joging by keyboard or wireless pendant. But the problem is I am new to cnc and there is very little information for beginner related to EdingCNC. I do receive some help from Sorotec, but they have a lot of info in German and this is not my even fourth language. Additionally they normally have customers who do not buy their machine as a first cnc ever. I should probably take more time to chose more popular machine, but I explained above that my decision was quite instant and compulsive.

So my kind request to you is: Can you, please, recommend some resources explaining the basics of cnc machining from the moment there is an existing G-code. I am lost at the EdingCNC software. I understand that most of the machine software is similar, or at least is doing the same things, so I can be maybe learn from other software with more online support/tutorials and then find my way in EdingCNC? I do not even understand how I make an offset in EdingCNC; when loading sample files it is shown outside the working area...
    The resources I find are not for the beginners and this is what I miss.

I use Ansys Spaceclaim for direct 3D modelling, but due to licensing and need for CAM I am at the process of changing to Fusion360 (got a license already). There is a lot of Fusion 360 CAM tutorials, so I think this is not going to be a problem - I am a fast learner. All scdoc component files of my guitars are translated to STEP and in the future I will make further redesigns already in Fusion.

Thanks in advance!
    Krzysztof
    Blue Arch Guitars
    www.bluearchguitars.com

Re: Can I kindly ask for your help? EdingCNC 720

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, and hope you beat them soon and can concentrate on building guitars again full-time. I'm not familiar with Eding CNC - does it accept regular G-code, or does it use something different? Does Fusion 360 have a postprocessor for it?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I'm not familiar with Eding CNC - does it accept regular G-code, or does it use something different? Does Fusion 360 have a postprocessor for it?
    Yes to both questions.
    1. EdingCNC 720 is their 4 axes Ethernet controlled PRO series board and the EdingCNC software uses RS274/NGC G-code dialect.
    2. Fusion 360 CAM is one of recommended CAMs by Eding. Yes, Autodesk has a postprocessor for EdingCNC https://support.edingcnc.com/support...orts-eding-cnc

....welcome to the zone.

After briefly reading thru your Eding Software manual...most of the Beginner questions are answered but, to someone new to CNC it's hard to know where to start process of Drawing board to finished parts. Getting the machine up and running 1st......Figuring out how to use your machine Coordinate Systems ,Homing, and Tool Comp's is good place to start in Chapter 2, then you can try Importing Files and run more then just G Code Programs.
    https://edingcnc.com/wp-content/uplo...nual_v4.03.pdf

..I'm sure you'll have more questions. One step at a time.
    DJ

If you're able to run Fusion 360, try creating a small, simple test part, and creating a G-code program, using the Eding post. Use the center of the drawing as the origin of the part, and set your X and Y zeroes in the middle of a piece of scrap, zeroing Z to the top of it. Then run the program and see what happens.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thank you both for your kind help. Learning slowly is a good advice and the only which I can now conquer. The manual is quite intimidating and it is hard to understand when basic knowledge is missing, but I start to move forward already. I am out of my machine now, but I can work in simulation mode (with ini files from my machine) and I can already create G54-G59 work coordinates and have a simple g-code run in simulation mode. What I plan to do next when I am in my workshop is to run some simple g-code without a tool in the spindle and next use a piece of styrofoam as a material and maybe a wooden pencil as a tool in the spindle. Next to learn is tool length measurement and tool offset when changing tools.

Two more question now:
    1. My machine has one home switch on each axis. Home switches placement as designed by Sorotec makes machine x0 y0 in the far right part of the table which makes all X and Y coordinates on the table negative numbers. Initially I thought it is awkward, but with G54 work home I have learned I think it is OK. Are negative machine coordinates OK?
    2. My machine uses Hiwin linear rails, but there is no protection of chips/dust contaminating steel rails except th rail seal. Are there protecting covers, or something available or it is a made up problem?

Krzysztof.

I don't think there's a problem with the X and Y machine origin coordinates being negative numbers. That's just a reference point; the origin your G-code will work from are the "floating zeroes" you set with your offsets.

The wipers will clear most swarf, but it can accumulate to the point where it interferes with the motion of an axis. It's good to install some kind of way covers or bellows, and to have some kind of system for removing chips, whether it's an auger or just periodic sweeping and shoveling.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Just want to thank you all for your help and encouragement. Please see results of my one month learning.

While I am still far away from being proficient in using CAM I did my first parts that do meet my requirements. Please check the photos of the part that will be a hollow bridge. The problem was to figure out the way to position the part on both sides as both sides are machined. The other was to support the hollow cavity while machining the external surfaces. The average thickness of bridge walls are 1.5mm. The total weight of 185 mm long bridge is 8,7 g. Main part of the bridge is made of sycamore with the top made of ebony. Inside cavity will be laminated with carbon fiber cloth making a tent like structure. This will add 3-4 grams to the total weight.

I was very intimidated at the beginning and needed a kick in the xxx (thank you again!) and while I still have problems to understand differences between different milling strategies, the simulation mode in Fusion 360 helps very much.

Best greetings!

Krzysztof.