586,096 active members*
3,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Arduino / driver issue

Hi guys
    I have recently built a cnc plasma table but i am having issues with getting the stepper motors running. Everything is running as it should but my stepper motors won't move and get extremely hot. I'm guessing it may be a wiring issue with the arduino, or the drivers. I've been through the wiring diagram twice. All dim switches are set correctly to match the stepper motors, and motors have been hooked up in the correct pairs. Any help would be greatly appreciated as its starting to drive me crazy. Ive attacthed some pics of the wiring. only 1 stepper motor attached when pics were taken.
    thanks

Re: Arduino / driver issue

If the motors get hot, the wiring of the stepper motors is OK.

If the motors get hot during running the problem is the step signal because the motors are enabled. The motor shaft is not locked when idle. The step signal could be missing or the step rate (stepper resolution steps/min $100..$102) could be to high. Jog 1000 mm at a feed rate of 1 mm/min. That should move the steppers. If not, set $10 (duration of the step pulse to 50).

If the motors get hot when idle, the problem is the polarity of the enable signal. The motors are not locked when moving. If you remove the enable signal, the steppers probably move. If not, invert the enable polarity in the grbl configuration ($4).