586,096 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Inexpensive CNC lathe for 2-3" diameter?

Inexpensive CNC lathe for 2-3" diameter?

I am learning the trades of a machinist and I wanted to get my first cnc lathe to make a variety of parts that I sell. My parts are anywhere from 2-3" in diameter or smaller and no longer than about 10" in length. Some parts are plastics such as UHMW or Delron, other parts are 316 stainless steel, and some parts are aluminum.

I was looking first at cnc bench lathes to learn the cnc programming, etc. but I don't see any american made ones out there, everything seems to be this crazy chinese stuff which I really don't trust.

The machinist we use now to make our parts uses a Southerwestern Industries Trak Lathe, but I don't have 40K to spend on my first cnc lathe.

Thanks all!

squale, I'm not current on CNC lathes, many others here are. If you want a low cost American built machine you are going to have to accept a very limited choice. I believe that Trak lathe is an oriental import as well. I belive Haas is about the only American small lathe but I'm not sure. There are some small European machines on the market. I'll let those recommendations up to "those who know".
    DZASTR

I think the Trak 1630sx is about $25K with tooling. Are there any other CNC lathes of that quality and versatility for small lot jobs in that price range or less?

I have some "Seasoned" albeit good, highly functional Fanuc 5T lathes that, when new, were in the $25 to $30K range. Include 10HP DC motor drives with variable speed drives. They need 220 3 phase but have 440 to 220 3 phase transformers if you need them.

Today, they can be had for a fraction of that. Contact me off via P/M for specs/details/prices.

They are NOT free but quite reasonably priced - they were used for small lot production prior to moving them here.

Can be had with all "spares" (IE: M/B's, parts, etc) if you "clean out the shop" and take the whole lot (2 lathes plus enough spares to last a life time).

Sorry, no piece meal sales.