586,102 active members*
2,620 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Newbie Alert - VFD/spindle settings trouble

Newbie Alert - VFD/spindle settings trouble

To put it bluntly. I am another new guy with a DIY cnc build. Thought I would buy the chinese spindle/vfd and ruin it before I spent money on a big boy spindle.

I bought this kit:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked just fine for 6 months or so. Then the motor quit turning on. I had lost my manual by this time(I know..). So I ordered a new motor(thinking this was the issue).

New motor(No I don't have the original anymore):
    110V 2.2KW 2200W 24000RPM 400HZ
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had some trouble at first getting the PD settings to work. Eventually it spun up, and we got to work for a few weeks. Then, again the motor just quit turning on.

So, now I am asking for your help.

Can someone give me the settings I need for this setup, please? Included are some photos of my wiring. If there is anything else you need let me know.

Thank you very much, in advance. For your time and consideration of guidance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240115_193946.jpg   20240115_194128.jpg   20240115_194704.jpg   20240115_194043.jpg  

20240115_194059.jpg  

Re: Newbie Alert - VFD/spindle settings trouble

Hi,
    it seems to me you are throwing good money after bad.

I do not trust el-cheapo Chinese made VFD's. Amongst the worst complaint about them is the documentation is almost unreadable and hardly surprising therefore that they should
    be poorly programmed and therefore cause repeated motor failures.

I use Delta VFDs. A Taiwanese brand made in China. They have much MUCH better documentation and even more usefully setup software that you install on a PC to flash
    the firmware to the drive. This much improves the chances of getting a correct and consistent set of parameters. Delta is still much cheaper than Yaskawa, but still quite a bit
    more than el-cheapo Chinese.

Craig

Hi,
    if there is a common fault that results in a blown motor its the V/F curve.

Most highspeed spindles such as your have a 'linear' V/F curve, where the voltage increases as the frequency increases. If you stuff up and program the drive to deliver
    full voltage (220) at a fraction of full frequency (400Hz for a two pole motor) then you risk blowing the motor.

Another common fault is that you should nominate a minimum frequency such that the spindle NEVER does less than 1/4 of full rpm. You risk damaging the spindle at slower speeds.

Each VFD manufacturer has their own terminology and parameter numbers. You have to determine how it is they specify the V/F curve. I know how Delta do it, and am not prepared to guess
    with other less well known brands.

Craig

Pls email or call us, I will help you to setup
    https://www.automationtechnologiesin...e/cnc-spindles