586,103 active members*
3,501 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New to laser engraving

Hello all. I just picked up an older Mercury L-25 laser engraver. I have never used one of these machines or anything like this before. I'm starting brand new. I want to know if I can even run this equipment with a laptop or if I need a desktop for it. I am just wondering where I should start. I want to use this for wood and plastics. Thank you for any and all directions on what my first steps should be.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Re: New to laser engraving

Look into Lightburn software

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up on light burn. From what I have researched it seems to be the best. Does anyone have the drivers I could download?

I’m not familiar with your machine. I’m assuming it’s CO2.

Normally you don’t need drivers. Lightburn outputs in the format of your controller. You either load the controller using a memory stick or upload the file to the controller directly using your Wi-Fi. The latter is more complicated to set up, but worth it.

Lightburn has an extensive user forum that is very active. Way more active then this forum.

It is an older cO2 machine. It originally had a desktop computer that would send the files through Autocad or Coreldraw. I will look for a light burn forum to check out. Gotta clean up the engraver this week

It might be worth upgrading the controller if you can’t get it working. Unless you have those programs it’s not worth investing in one just to save that controller.

Here are some pics of the machine.

I have tutorials on using LightBurn with other brands of AlgoLaser machines How To Laser Engrave Denim with LightBurn URL:https://algolaser.com/blogs/how-to/l...with-lightburn. I wonder if they can be helpful to you?