586,089 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Is it Art?

Is it Art?

Around a decade ago, I initiated a discussion on this forum about my journey in using CNC technology for artistic carvings, questioning, “Is it Art?” Since then, my work has evolved significantly, and I think it's time to revisit this intriguing topic.

A bit of background: In 2005, I designed and built a 5ft x 10ft 3-axis CNC, leveraging my experience from programming since the mid-1980s and building several specialized CNCs for manufacturing. My goal was to fuse my passion for art and woodcarving with my professional expertise in manufacturing engineering. Over the past two decades, I've created hundreds of custom furniture, doors, moldings, and art pieces. I've also upgraded my CNC, adding two more axes to enhance its capabilities.

I've dedicated considerable time to developing G-code programs that address challenges not covered by commercial software. In recent years, my focus shifted to generating organic, flowing toolpaths. I'm intrigued by resonance flow and the beauty of mathematical patterns. This last year marked the development of a unique software suite. It generates distinctive outputs from a base pattern, much like DNA, ensuring no two results are identical. The complexity of this software demands an extensive suite for the final output, with some pieces requiring billions of calculations. My challenge was organizing these calculations for efficient toolpaths from the organic patterns I create.

Take this piece, for example, which began as a dead Cottonwood tree. After personally milling the wood, I carved it with my CNC, with a base pattern of equally spaced parallel lines. My software expressed a unique toolpath flow that I carved using custom tooling to produce continuously variable elliptical cross-sections with each toolpath. The inspiration was the wave patterns of the sea. Post-CNC work involved 80-100 hours of hand sanding and finishing.

The piece, not fully captured in photos, reveals its changing flow and depth in person, offering a mesmerizing effect of effortless flowing, perfectly tangent, yet ever-morphing troughs that characterize the piece. It recently featured in a gallery and will appear in another exhibition later this year.

Alongside it, I present an essay titled “Cottonwood Tango on the Sea,” reflecting the piece's oceanic inspiration and inviting viewers on a journey of self-discovery.

As an experienced CNC community, I pose the question again: Is it art? Why or why not?

Your thoughts and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Attachment 500984

“Cottonwood Tango on the Sea”

“Drawn to the enigmatic allure of the ocean, we find ourselves reflecting on its vastness, power, depth, and mystery. Gazing upon its boundless expanse, the sea resonates with our innermost emotions, whether it's tranquility, inspiration, hope, connection, adventure, or the shadows of our fears.

Each wave is a unique manifestation of unseen forces, an individualistic dance of water marked by subtlety and individuality. Each rise and fall tells a singular story, observable in a fleeting moment, yet profoundly intricate, eluding complete understanding even over a lifetime.

In this spirit, 'Cottonwood Tango on the Sea' emerges as a canvas for personal exploration. Here, the waves undulating crescendos and descents are interlaced with organic, flowing paths. This sculpture, carved from a grand Cottonwood slab, unapologetically reveals its own history. The spalling, cracks, stains, and traces of past insect life are not just preserved but celebrated, adding to the piece's narrative.

This artwork invites you to a journey of self-discovery, where each observation might lead to a new revelation. 'Cottonwood Tango on the Sea' is a medium for the exploration of your own unfolding story, authored by your engagement and reflection. I encourage you to dive into its depths, to find and sync with your unique rhythm.

Impressionist Carving in Rustic Cottonwood.
    Crafted and Authored by Shane McKenna

Re: Is it Art?

I like it, and sure - it's art. I especially like the subtle variation of the waves. Was it really generated entirely by your custom CAM program, or did you basically design it in CAD and then further customize it with the CAM? Was all that hand-finishing done to get rid of tool marks? I would have thought you'd be proud of them. You should photograph it by the ocean - is that where the train's headed?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I like it, and sure - it's art. I especially like the subtle variation of the waves. Was it really generated entirely by your custom CAM program, or did you basically design it in CAD and then further customize it with the CAM? Was all that hand-finishing done to get rid of tool marks? I would have thought you'd be proud of them. You should photograph it by the ocean - is that where the train's headed?
    Yes, this was carved entirely from my CAM software, no CAD involved in this particular design. I pride myself on my fine furniture finishes. There were subtle tool marks, but I also wanted to soften the ridges between the toolpath troughs. When I am creating a rustic piece, I will frequently leave intentional tool marks. Thank you for your feedback.