586,089 active members*
3,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Centroid CNC Control Products > CNC Converted Bridgeport, contantly shutting down at random times..

Question CNC Converted Bridgeport, contantly shutting down at random times..

Hello all, I was hoping someone here may have experienced this problem before and may be able to help figure out what's going on..

I work for a small, family owned business with a CNC Bridgeport that is my go-to machine, mill-wise. The problem we're having with her is the machine keeps shutting down spontaneously. At first we thought it was just shutting off without warning when we weren't looking, so we assumed possibly a power supply issue and replaced the P.C.'s power supply. No change to the issue, so the issue seemed to be elsewhere.

Then as my boss and I were working with the machine, sprung up a quick error/shutdown message on the screen then cut off. We had missed seeing the message in the past, but finally caught it that time and it's been continuing to do this. Cold, or hot in the shop at random timing, within minutes or hours even. But the message doesn't tell us much to go on as to the cause of the problem. I set up a camcorder to record the machine's screen to catch the message, since it pops up and is gone so quickly..I attached captures of the error screen below if it's of any help in solving the issue..sometimes the machine will shut off without the message as well, it took several attempts at catching the message on camera since it sometimes just cuts off into a black screen without warning.

I'm unsure where to even begin looking, basing on the little info provided by the message. Has anyone experienced this and figured out the cause?
    The sky seems the limit at the moment, we have no idea where to even start looking aside from already cloning the hard-disk to a new one and replacing the power supply, it doesn't seem very cost effective at this point for us to keep replacing various parts in the hopes/assumption that it will solve the problem..

Thank you all very much for your time and for taking a look, any help at all is greatly appreciated!

-Carson

Re: CNC Converted Bridgeport, contantly shutting down at random times..

Hi,
    I am not at all familiar with Centroid but that error messages look to be Windows crashing, maybe related to the Centroid, but then again maybe not.

Have you asked Centroid? If there were something about Centroid they may have seen it before.

Craig

...Keyboard failing or sticky keys? Does your keyboard have a PC power button? Disable it ...if, possible.

DJ

Thank you for your replies, my boss said he will be contacting Centroid with the same photos soon.. The keyboard doesn't have any feature to force a shutdown that I know of, the only option I'm aware of is through the software via an F10 option (with a few prompts to confirm afterwards). The system is 'somewhat' old, mid-2000's or so, it does run off of an XP era P.C internally. alongside the CNC control board and such, but it's operating system is a version of Linux with added expansion hardware inside the PC (PCI, AGP, etc.) to properly operate the machine via PC. We've never had any issues with her for years, but suddenly this problem arose. The 'shutdown' error message doesn't tell us much as you all can see from my 1st post, I was hoping it would at least lead us in the right direction..but there's no specific error code of any sort as most OS's would illustrate. Only "connection to X server lost" being the first thing that stood out, but possibly/probably irrelevant due to being a forced software shutdown?

I attached some photos of the machine's screen during startup (in case it's of any help or relevance to a known issue), showing the Linux version we're using and light detail of the machine's hardware initialization during startup. I attached a photo of the software's GUI as well (when the system is operating properly) in case it's recognizable.

We're pretty lost as to where we should look next. The sky's the limit for us at this point with no idea where to look from here, physical components, corrupt OS etc..

Thank you all again so much for taking a look.. Any ideas or suggestions are very much appreciated,

-Carson