586,096 active members*
3,713 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Speed Control

Good day all, anyone have any ideas on what would cause me to have zero input on the spindle speed. I can turn it on but it turns verrrrrrrry slow and can not increase the speed. Its a 2004 VM1 Ultimax 4 W/MC5 Yask Spindle drive. Quick background; I was getting a PGO fault, so I replaced the encoder. Now there is no fault but I have absolutely no control of the spindle speed. It will orientate for a TC and turn on but that's it. If I go back to the Spindle controller and command it to increase speed from there it works I spent 4 hrs on the phone with Hurco yesterday and we still could not figure it out. He emailed me the parameters for the machine so I could verify, and I'm about to try that now. Any help would be appreciated cause I am stumped. Thanks guys

Re: Speed Control

Quote Originally Posted by caddysnponys View Post
    Good day all, anyone have any ideas on what would cause me to have zero input on the spindle speed. I can turn it on but it turns verrrrrrrry slow and can not increase the speed. Its a 2004 VM1 Ultimax 4 W/MC5 Yask Spindle drive. Quick background; I was getting a PGO fault, so I replaced the encoder. Now there is no fault but I have absolutely no control of the spindle speed. It will orientate for a TC and turn on but that's it. If I go back to the Spindle controller and command it to increase speed from there it works I spent 4 hrs on the phone with Hurco yesterday and we still could not figure it out. He emailed me the parameters for the machine so I could verify, and I'm about to try that now. Any help would be appreciated cause I am stumped. Thanks guys
    Some motors need to do zeroing procedure after replacing a new encoder, don't if it is like your case, below is an example for your reference.
    https://paycnc.com/info/how-to-zeroi...der_i1002.html
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Does your machine have sensor for orientation?
    If no, You can quick check the encoder on the yaskawa controler, open parameter U2-03 (Spindle motor position) and watch if the numbers are changing when somebody else manualy(with hand) slowly rotates the spindle.
    If the numbers are not changing there is posibly an issue with encoder, either the wiring or the encoder is not in phase with the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinZG View Post
    Does your machine have sensor for orientation?
    If no, You can quick check the encoder on the yaskawa controler, open parameter U2-03 (Spindle motor position) and watch if the numbers are changing when somebody else manualy(with hand) slowly rotates the spindle.
    If the numbers are not changing there is posibly an issue with encoder, either the wiring or the encoder is not in phase with the motor.
    I just wanted to come on here and thank all who responded and helped.. It was the encoder that was the issue. Thanks again to all!!!