586,106 active members*
2,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > North Carolina...Kannapolis,Concord or Charlotte Area

North Carolina...Kannapolis,Concord or Charlotte Area

I live in Kannapolis, NC and have just retired. Decided to take up metal working as my hobby and am looking for local folks with a common interest.
    I just purchased a Tormach CNC , a 12 X36 lathe and a Bridgeport clone.
    I am trying to teach myself to run all of this but REALLY need help in the CAD/CAM area. Anyone in 60 mile radius that may have like interest I would like to chat with you. Thanks.

Cecil W. Herman
    AA4CQ

RE: North Carolina...Kannapolis,Concord or Charlotte Area

Hi Cecil. I live in Granite Falls, NC (about 7 miles north of Hickory, about 1.5 hours from you). I retired about two years ago. I have been interested in metalworking for about six years. I have converted three mills to CNC. My current one is a Chinese Bridgeport clone. I also have a 13X40 lathe and other assorted tools. I'm currently building a CNC wood router.

I'd be happy to help you learn CAD/CAM. Would you be interested in seeing my shop? Send me an email and I'll give you my phone number.

Help With CNC

Thanks so much for the reply. I am also building a CNC wood router but sorta got side tracked with all the other projects. I would love to come up and see your shop and have a chat. Please send me your phone number or call me COLLECT at 704-932-0569.

Cecil Wayne Herman

Local Charlotte NC

Hi am also local would love to help out, I have built 3 cnc routers just finished a gantry from all solid steel. Also designed the controller from 3 microchip controllers, as well as the programming in assembler. I am now working on getting a Bridgeport Boss5 to run smooth, she is working great right now with BOBCAD/CAM ver 21 great program, takes patience steep learning curve, I have also written some control software in VB6, however having some port issues with timming, but I will eventually get my pulse speed up on the port, I just do not have time I am also finishing my Masters Degree, however if you need anything call me I have a full machine shop, it is just a hobby, I have a Bridgeport mill, Also a Bridgeport CNC Boss 5, as well as a 14/40 lathe, with tons of tooling. I am willing to help. Also I am planning on attending a Mach3 workshop in Tn, this is a great control software, it is a little more complex than KellyCam, however once someone understands how to set it up the rest is chips chips and broken end mills. Email me at [email protected] or call me 910-515-4612 that is my cell I would be willing to help any way I can.

Cecil,

Have you had any success with your mill?? I'm considering a Tormach myself. Are you happy with your purchase??

I live in Lincolnton about 1 hour west of you.

Thanks.
    dave

Mill

Dave ,
    Since I know very little about CNC have not used it that much. I like what I see and pleased with the quality. I am trying to find a CAD-CAM program
    that I can use. Haven't made any progress to speak of but still looking for someone in the area experienced in this field that may be willing to "jump start" me......grin

C. Wayne Herman

i don't have any experience in the cam department. i do have a small amount of cad experience. i downloaded the free version of Alibre about a month ago. I've been very impressed and I'd recommend that you try it. It's free !!!!!

https://www.alibre.com/products/xpre...ss_for_all.asp

-dave

I'm in Catawba SC-Rock Hill area..and

own a CNC router and Epilog Ext 36 laser. I'm not into metal working but more into signs and some woodworking things. I am 62 yrs old but not retired by any means. I'd love to hook up with some of you guys running numerically controlled machines, regardless of the type of work your doing.
    E-mail me at [email protected]
    Larry in South Carolina