586,082 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc SRAM Backup Stuck

Hi,

I have 3 Nakamura Tome WT250 lathes, twin spindle, twin turret, Fanuc 18i TB control.
    I made SRAM backups for the machines. For 2 of them, the backup works ok, it writes 4 files for every machine (SRAM2_0A, SRAM2_0B, SRAM2_0C, SRAM2_0D). I even had to restore a SRAM backup once and it worked fine.

BUT on one of the machines, when i try to make the backup, it writes the first 2 files on the card and then hangs at the 3rd file and does nothing. It just stays stuck there. If i remove the card, i have only the 2 files that were completed.

Any idea why this happens and how to solve it?

Thnaks.

Re: Fanuc SRAM Backup Stuck

On the machine that you want to try the sram and is not loading all 4 files,did you tried to take out the sram?
    Even if the machine is not starting you can take out the old sram to see if it is split also in 4 files
    The Sram files are different split depending on the SRAM pcb capabilities ,even you have the same controller 18i-TB
    can ypu post the serial numebr of each cnc ,is the code with EXXXXXXX on the back of the cnc located on the back of the screen

Thank you for taking time to help.
    The machine works fine, so i wouldn't want to work with the SRAM and risk loosing parameters and making the machine unusable. I just want to make an SRAM backup and not mess anything up.

My problem is NOT with restoring SRAM, but with the backup hf the SRAM. It only saves 2 files on the card, instead of 4, and on the screen it says "COMPLETE" for thebfirst 2 files and stays stuck at the third file.
    I will send you serial numbers tomorrow.

I'm in the same scenario
    We have three almost identical Star SV32 Lathes with Fanuc 16i Contols

One of them writes one out of two files then halts indefinitely exactly as you describe

Showed the phenomenon to our Star supplier's tech who basically went ¯\_(?)_/¯ and told me to just give it more time. Think i had it chugging for three hours before i gave up

All parameters and other data, other than part programs, are stored in the first file. Only if the first 512k of sram is insufficient, will additional files have programs in them. So, don't be too concerned.

There may be a difference in the memory size. Take a look at the memory size in the program directory and compare the machines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SRAM.jpg  

But it should indicate completion of backup regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    But it should indicate completion of backup regardless.
    You are correct. It sounds like a corrupted memory area. As you mentioned earlier, the information should be stored in the first one or two files. You can try downloading a blank file from Memex at the link below and rename it to the missing files. This should work. Although, I would still be concerned as to why it failed.

https://www.memex.ca/support/downloads/

I like the SRAM backup for its simplicity. I would also recommend making a text file backup using a memory card. This will allow you to view the files. It doesn't hurt to have both. I made some videos a few years ago on how to backup a machine. They're for the 32i, but it should be close. They don't cover everything, but it's a good start. The 18i does not have the all data backup option.

Programs, offsets, macro, all data
    [URL] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Orppljfy8&t=32s

Parameters and PMC data
    [URL] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM_jW2hkO_E

SRAM
    [URL] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXKE6s_dzSE

Also available from [email protected] (I supplied the 'empty' files to Memex...)

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    All parameters and other data, other than part programs, are stored in the first file. Only if the first 512k of sram is insufficient, will additional files have programs in them. So, don't be too concerned.
    I thought that since my machine is Twin Spindle, it works like 2 machines in one, so the first 2 files would be for one machine, and the other 2 files would be for the other machine. I didn't get this information from somewhere, it's just what i thought. If indeed all parameters and data is in the first file, then i should be fine.

Anyway, since i have other 2 identical machines in my shop, i'm kind of relying on the SRAM files from the other machines to help me if i ever need an SRAM restore. They might work with slight adjustments after the restore. But still, if i find a way to fix this issue and manage to backup this SRAM, it would be better.