586,655 active members*
2,426 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Renishaw Wireless Probe on TM-1P
Page 2 of 2 12
    Okay John, you're going to get all the probing info dumped into this thread.

I called Haas today and I guess I have the 'original' version of the probing cycles. They emailed me an updated file that is supposed to allow me to choose which pocket the probe lives in.

The other thing is that my machine has been down for awhile and the probe batteries are now dead. I took them into Radio Shack today: $18.99 each!

I bought 'em because I figured "what choice do I have?"

When I got home, I checked eBay. The same exact battery, sold in two-packs (the probe takes two so that works) for 1/4 the price: $4.38 each. The manufacture date is October 2007 so they aren't 'old stock' either.

Even with shipping and tax, I bought four batteries for half of what I paid for two at Radio Shack. Yes, I'm returning them tomorrow.

I would ordinarily patronize the local business. I don't mind paying a small premium--even twice as much on a small ticket item, but FOUR TIMES as much?!?

Oh well, end of my rant.
    Greg

Probe

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the tip on the batteries. In as much as both the probe and the tool setter will be wireless, I will need batteries for both. I don't know what the battery life will be but will get some spares just in case.

You guys a really super, and thanks to CNC Zone for providing us a place to talk, exchange information and share ideas.

John

Hey Copter John, You did it right! I have that wireless Renshaw and I can tell you, it is the making of your machine! I almost didn't buy it because of that $5K price tag... but I have ALWAYS been so glad that I did. We do some pretty precision stuff and that probe saves a lot of material and headaches. The little booklets that come with the Renshaw are about all you need to get going. It is really straight forward. Like the Donkey... I had never used one and in a couple of hours I was happily sailing along. I do remove mine from the tool changer... it just cost too danged much to mistreat!
    Again... GOOD FOR YOU!!! You made a perfect choice.

Forgot... Batteries... I got about 2 years out of my first set. If you have a Batteries Plus store... they stock the ones listed in your book. They as well have a cheaper battery... but I bought the best ones since the difference was about $5.00. ALSO... my probe kept all the calibration settings perfectly when the batteries were changed... never lost a thing. Hope this helps.

Hi Ican,

I appreciate you tip on the battery purchase.

I am a newbie to CNC and have a couple of older CNC machines I have been using. This has been my first chance to purchase a new machine and wanted to get all the options that would be useful to me.

I am also a newbie to all the probing stuff. Looks like it will save me a ton of time on the setup of parts. I do a lot on small runs so I see that option as being extremely helpful.

Hi JPMach,

Just wanted to thank you for the Renishaw Manual. I would attach the PDF file but there is a 500KB limit and the file is 661KB. I would be glad to forward it to anyone who is interested. Just send me a Private message with your e-mail address and I will get it on the way.

All of you guys are the best. Nice Forum with Great, Helpful people.

John

Page 2 of 2 12