586,075 active members*
4,267 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas Mini Mill, chips clog up lines

Angry Haas Mini Mill, chips clog up lines

I have the high volume pump & run alum, the chips stop up the
    coolant lines so it almost stops. I pull them off & they are plugged
    with chips.
    What do you owners of mini mills do to stop this?

Quote Originally Posted by duenow
    I have the high volume pump & run alum, the chips stop up the
    coolant lines so it almost stops. I pull them off & they are plugged
    with chips.
    What do you owners of mini mills do to stop this?
    Go to the local Home Depot and get a cartridge filter assembly. You need a couple of adapters, 3/4"NPT x 3/4" Hose to go in the filter body and a filler hose used for washing machines and you can install the filter into the coolant system. Works great.

If you are unlucky you may find you have to take the cover off the spindle assembly to get at a coolant line connection inside to remove the hose and clean out chips that will not blow out using air.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    Go to the local Home Depot and get a cartridge filter assembly. You need a couple of adapters, 3/4"NPT x 3/4" Hose to go in the filter body and a filler hose used for washing machines and you can install the filter into the coolant system. Works great.

If you are unlucky you may find you have to take the cover off the spindle assembly to get at a coolant line connection inside to remove the hose and clean out chips that will not blow out using air.
    Not that unlucky, high volume pump when I take off the lines will blow coolant
    like mad. Why did they set it up with only 1/4" locklines?

Do you have the # on the cartridge filter, home Depot ain't to smart.
    So you put it between the pump output & the line that goes up to the spindle. Only way it would work. How often do you have to change/clean the filter?

Thanks for your help. I run very small parts @ slow feeds & chips are very small.

Also do you have a picture of your setup?

Filter

It is a standard houshold sediment filter; G.E. Model GXWH04F and includes a mounting bracket, wrench for the housing and a couple of filters. The filters last for at least six months. They are cheap and easy to replace whether they are clogged or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails filter.jpg  

Same thing here..but we use a Teel strainer from Granger on all the machines..clean them about once a week..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-001S.JPG   MVC-003S.JPG  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It is a standard houshold sediment filter; G.E. Model GXWH04F and includes a mounting bracket, wrench for the housing and a couple of filters. The filters last for at least six months. They are cheap and easy to replace whether they are clogged or not.
    Thanks for the pic. I see you also have the high volume pump.

Can you tell me what filters you use? They have many different types that
    fit this unit.

Only way I can run now is with 3 lines wide open or they will plug up.
    And with that HV pump you can't see anything at all with that much
    coolant pumping.
    Thanks again.

Strainer

Hi WMS,

Thanks for the information on the TEEL 2P581 Strainer. I stopped by Grainger this morning and picked one up for my machine.

I have attached a few pictures for anyone that is interested.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB210267a.jpg   PB210268a.jpg   PB210269a.jpg  

I've got you all beaten.

I had a $10 coupon for Lowes that expired yesterday so I had to use it. I bought the 'large house' filter system: the larger 4" diameter cartridge style and the clear case ($60).

I just couldn't get over the idea that the smaller cartridge might restrict the flow of the washdown hose. I took the plunge and bought the big one. Now I've got to find a place to mount it.

The reason I started this quest was the sprinkling of fines that I would find all over the table after washing everything down over and over. This should fix it.
    Greg