Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
Points given for innovation here, but I don't see this working too well. By lifting the whole gantry beam for each Z move, while the spindle is fixed in position, you lose the ability to descend into a cut any deeper than the tool stick-out plus the spindle nose allows. The clearance under the beam becomes a critical limiting factor. Say you're trying to carve something that looks like Mt. Everest. Cutting the peak would work okay, but as you descend down the slope, if the tool can't reach (and there's a limit to how long they can be, especially when cutting materials as hard as aluminum) the beam is going to bang into the summit as it tries to pass it. On a normal router, the spindle would be able to descend the slope to the limit of the Z travel, but on this one, most of that travel is useless.
Hi Andrew, thnx.. yes the limiting factor for pocket´s / slopes is the gantry (issue with spindle and backplate is the same as in conventional concepts). In my use case (I´m targeting for 220mm) ther is no need for that and if I ever come in the situation that I want to handle that task I can attach a second adapter plate in the lengh / shape i need.
I am planing to carv foam to shapes that are possible with this setup.
The hight is needed for the "big" foam block´s that are going to be mashined from both sides but mainly it is going to be working under "normal" conditions. I am hoping to get around the confliction requirements with this concept. This mashine build is for hobbie use cases but I want to do the best I can.

Thanks!
Sebastian