586,103 active members*
3,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Other Machine Topics > Want to get an old Model Master CNC mill up and running again

Want to get an old Model Master CNC mill up and running again

Hello. I've got a 24 year old Model Master 1500 cnc mill which has sat idle for the last 10 or so years due to the hardware and software being out of date. The Model Master company closed years ago, ArtCam, the software I used to produce the art is no longer supported and the mill's hardware is out-of-date, using old serial connections that are not supported by modern computers. My question...can I upgrade the hardware to work with newer software? The mill itself is in good condition. Any help will be great. I don't know where to begin looking other than to ask here.

Thanks,
    Rod

Re: Want to get an old Model Master CNC mill up and running again

You should post some photos of your machine, but the simple answer is YES. Most of these older machines need to have the electronics swapped out for something current. Depending on the Servo Motors and Servo Drivers or the Stepper Motors and Stepper drives some of that hardware can be used again with a new CNC controller. There are many choices, so with a few photos and more details on your machine several people can make suggestions. Also, what is your background, are you familiar with working on electronics and wiring up motors, switches, etc. As far as the older Artcam software is concerned it will still create artwork and generate gcode. The newer replacement to Artcam is Vectric Aspire which is very similar to Artcam, think some of the people from Artcam created it.

Bottom line is you can use your existing software provided you don't use a controller that is unsupported.

Re: Want to get an old Model Master CNC mill up and running again

Hi all. I am newbie. Glad to be here. Have a nice day everyone!)