586,096 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Help to Select Stepper Motors

Help to Select Stepper Motors

Trying to select the stepper motors for my new 3 axis 4 motors cnc mill which I build with 3/8” thick aluminum flat bars/plate (I will use 2 motors for the Y/A axis). I already have a PSU unit for these motors, 48VDC, 10A which I hope will be enough. The drivers supplied with these motors is: 5.6A digital bipolar drivers.

The one I consider has these specs:
    NEMA23, 570 oz/in, 1/4”dual shaft,
    2 faces, 1.8 deg/step
    3.8 rated volts
    5.0A current/phase
    0.6 ohms/phase
    2.5mH inductance/phase
    2.4kg weight

My knowledge in electronics is minimum so I’m asking for a second opinion. This is the first time I will use such a big motor, my previous ones were 270 oz/in 1.0kg and although I don’t worry about the extra weight I’m not sure about the 3.8 rated volts and the 5.0A current/phase. Would my 10A PSU unit be sufficient? Any other comment?
    Thanks
    Nicolas

Re: Help to Select Stepper Motors

Hi Kolias - Yes the 10A will be fine. Its unlikely that the 4 motors will pull peak current at the same time. And if they did the motors would just have less torque. The Y-A axis for instance will be lightly loaded due to the sharing of the load. If you find that say the Z needs more current (ie it stalls a lot) when you develop the machine a bit more you can buy a separate PS just for that axis... Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Kolias - Yes the 10A will be fine. Its unlikely that the 4 motors will pull peak current at the same time. And if they did the motors would just have less torque. The Y-A axis for instance will be lightly loaded due to the sharing of the load. If you find that say the Z needs more current (ie it stalls a lot) when you develop the machine a bit more you can buy a separate PS just for that axis... Peter
    Thank you for the help peteeng, your idea about the Z sound a good solution
    Nicolas
    Nicolas

Hey peteeng, a question for you. I'm looking for a BOB (breakout board) with parallel port and at least one relay. I know this kind of board is old school but I have XP and Mach3 and I'm happy with it. On my last cnc I used ESS and was not very happy, too many parameters to configure but it worked good. There are many on the web but difficult to choose one and the ports are all marked in Chinese. If you know of one pls let me know and where to get it.

Much appreciated
    Nicolas
    Nicolas

Hi Nicolas - I don't use sperate parts anymore and and now use a Knighthawk controller.

Nighthawk CNC Controller™ | CNC3D | Gold Coast | QLD | Australia

In the past I have used this sort of BOB and it worked fine. There are many versions of this available on the web.

5 Axis CNC Breakout Board For Mach3 - Maker Store PTY LTD

Regards Peter

Many thanks Peter, I liked the 5 axis cnc BOB from the Makers store and send them an email to find out if they can ship to Canada.
    Perhaps the shipping would be more expensive than the item but I don't care, looks like a good board for my needs.
    Cheers
    Nicolas
    Nicolas

Hi Nicloas - There is an affiliate Maker Store company in the USA. Maybe easier to deal with then the AUS store for you? Peter

CNC Machine Solutions, DIY & Hardware - Maker Store USA

Thanks Peter, you are like a library full of information. lol

I checked the USA store but they only have the expensive motion controllers. I will wait to see the answer from AU and take it from there. In any case I will not be ready for any electrical work before early summer
    Cheers
    Nicolas

I was too fast to answer your email Peter, just got the email below from AU. Kind of expensive the shipping but I will go ahead and see

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch!
    Sounds like a great project that we can certainly help with. I've gone ahead and estimated the postage to be approximately $30.00 AUD depending*on your exact address.

To proceed further with this quote, please provide the following details to add to your invoice:
    • Your full name
    • Contact Number
    • Company (optional)
    • Physical Address for delivery (PO Box and Parcel Locker not accepted)
    • Any special delivery instructions

Once we receive your information, we will send you an invoice for the breakout board with shipping included.
    If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.*
    Kind regards,
    Shannon
    Maker Store Team
    Nicolas

Good link Peter, thanks. It only cost $12.00 and they have the users guide too however I already bought one from Makers Store cost me about CAD$ 35.00, shipping was the killer, lol. I must say the service at Makers Store is excellent.
    Nicolas
    Nicolas

Have a look on Amazon Canada. They have them for about the same price.

Cheers
    Peter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

You are right Peter, Amazon.ca has it from many places but it cost more cause they include the 2 required cables. Maker Store it says USB cable not included but they say nothing about the printer cable so I just send them an email asking about it. It took me some time to find this BOB because most, if not all, come from China and the support is not there (broken non reliable English). At least now if I have a problem with this BOB I can ask Maker Store for a help.

BTW on this thread I'm talking to 2 "Peter" both from AU, are you the same?

Cheers
    Nicolas
    Nicolas

No different Peters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

I know you guys are knowledgeable on this subject but I post a new thread on this link regarding the balls screws selection. If you have a chance to give me your thoughts.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/newre...reply&t=468212

Thanks
    Nicolas
    Nicolas