586,103 active members*
3,400 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > The Best Software for 6040 CNC Machine

The Best Software for 6040 CNC Machine

Hello,

If it is possible to use Mastercam with 6040 cnc, is it better choice than Mach 3?

Re: The Best Software for 6040 CNC Machine

I think you need to study the topic a bit more deeply.Mastercam can be used to produce the code but the machine will need Mach 3 or something similar to convert that code into motion.I do find it a bit odd that somebody is considering a software suite that costs many times as much as a hobby machine such as a 6040 router.

Yes, I am a beginner, but since I couldn't find any information regarding 6040 and mastercam I have decided to ask. Is it a sin, or you are a mastercam distributor?
    Thanks for your answer anyways.

I'm not a Mastercam distributor and it would be more than capable of running a 6040 machine,but for the same cash outlay,or less, you could buy an 8'X4' machine with more up to date control software and something like Aspire to create the programs.Or you could just by Aspire and get machining if you have the small machine already.Do be aware that some basic machines are supplied with a demo version of Mach 3 which is limited to quite small programs and Mach 3 is somewhat outdated now.

Thanks, I plan to use 6040 or something similar with DDCS 4.1 controller. If I understood corectly, DDCS can use different versions of G-Codes files, generated by MastrerCAM or other software. My goal is to learn cnc milling and Mastercam (I don't like Fusion since it is cloud base software).
    Maybe Rhino 3D and RhinoCAM are not a bad solutions for beginners. Currently I am watching some tutorials about RhinoCAM.

Rhino is excellent and not that hard to learn.Gcode can be generated by all sorts of software and there are free programs out there that will create useable code from a dxf file and inputs regarding tool diameter and material thickness.You can go a long way by trying one of these programs and viewing the results on a simulation program such as Camotics.That way there are no broken tools and no pile of scrap in the corner.

Thanks for a tip, I'll check this conversation possibility. I am a Rhino user. RhinoCAM doesn't seem to be complicated, as I see they use it to teach the kids in high schools.

Hi,

(I don't like Fusion since it is cloud base software).
    To be honest I did not like Fusion for the same reason, but I gotten over that. I have a Fusion subscription and have done for a few years, and being Cloud based is not a problem.

What's the bet your bank, your business software, medical records and all sorts of other important stuff is on the cloud already? If you trust your banking records to the cloud why not Fusion?

Fusion is hands down the winner of the cost/performance metric.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    Fusion is hands down the winner of the cost/performance metric.

Craig
    I would have awarded that particular title to Freecad.