586,103 active members*
3,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Rhinocam > CNC Profile Cutting Topo Model

CNC Profile Cutting Topo Model

Hello all,
    I am trying to cut out a rectangle from this topo model (see pictures). I've tried modeling the cut as part of a 3-axis operation and 2.5 axis profiling just with the linework, but either way I am hitting a shank collision error on the depth. The total depth is 4.5" at the highest point of the topo, and I'm running it with a 3/4" 2387R Upcut bit. Is this cut possible with a combination of operations? Please let me know your thoughts!
    Best,
    Caroline

Re: CNC Profile Cutting Topo Model

here are the pictures!

Hi Caroline - If the part is deeper then the tool you are stuck. Is the tool 4.5" long? Is this just a cam error not a physical error? If its just CAM then reset the tool dims in the library or settings and it will be fine. You can also cut half way on one side, then flip the part and do the other side. Peter

Vortex don't seem to publish all the dimensions of the tool. My guess is that the roughing bit is 2" the tool top cut is 2.5" the LOA is 6" and the shank land is 1.5" long. This leaves 0.5" above the tool top cut to the collet. So if you drop the tool a little in the collet you have adequate length to do a 4.5" cut without a crash (provided the outside material is not too high) ... So adjust dims of the tool in the CAM software and sneek the tool down a little if needed.... Good Luck Peter

You will almost certainly need to find a long enough tool and it will need to either be waisted or to have a shank diameter that is less than the cutting diameter or the friction will do nasty things if a part of the shank is rubbing.You will also need to verify that your machine has enough Z axis travel to move the tool to and from the cutting zone without leaving a big gouge in the part.