586,082 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Seeking Software Recommendations for Puzzle Creation from Wood Scraps with CNC

Seeking Software Recommendations for Puzzle Creation from Wood Scraps with CNC

Hello everyone,My name is Pascal, and I'm a teacher in Corsica. I'm on the lookout for the right software that can assist me in isolating geometric shapes within images. My project involves extracting specific shapes, such as squares, circles, or rectangles, to then cut these out from wood scraps using a laser or CNC machine, with the aim of creating puzzles. I exclusively work with wood scraps and i'll add images show you the type of images I'm looking to replicate with my cutouts. Your advice on suitable software for this task would be greatly appreciated.

Édit : i can't upload my images. Here is a link close to what i'd like to do. https://img.pixers.pics/pho_wat(s3:700/FO/61/43/55/34/700_FO61435534_28a718ff70da10cc86cdab2dd57e1006.jp g,700,583,cms:2018/10/5bd1b6b8d04b8_220x50-watermark.png,over,480,533,jpg)/posters-poisson-rouge-mosaique.jpg.jpg

Just cut all the pieces from scrap and then unite the puzzle.

Re: Seeking Software Recommendations for Puzzle Creation from Wood Scraps with CNC

Here is that image in a clickable format:

https://img.pixers.pics/pho_wat(s3:7...saique.jpg.jpg

If you are starting with scraps, are those scraps all a uniform size, or ???

Re: Seeking Software Recommendations for Puzzle Creation from Wood Scraps with CNC

So basically you want a piece of software that you can feed:
    1) A set of desired shapes
    2) A set of photos of scrap wood pieces

And then you want the software to "pack" the puzzle pieces onto the scrap pieces. In other words, figure out the best pieces of scrap to use for each puzzle piece.

Did I get that right?

Sounds like a programming problem to me. I'm not aware of anything that will do that. I wrote a Python app that analyzed photos of puzzle pieces and figured out which pieces went together (the 2000-piece puzzle in question had 500 pieces all black). It was non-trivial. Image processing can be very tricky even for simple problems.