586,082 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bobcad V36 Lathe

Engine guy, JR, Burrman I need help. I have a new (to me) 2019 HAAS ST20Y (please don't jam me for buying that thing, DAMN the spindle motor is crazy loud over 2200 rpm, but its too late the money is spent). I have made several tooling jobs and parts and such and learned the bobcad lathe package to where I can do some pretty cool things...but slowly. Today's parts require a cylindrical shape with 5 oddly spaced slots around the outside and a dowel pin to clock it all. It will be a connector alignment head. 5 different UCS index's. Worked great as it allowed me to rotate to the next slot and do the work. Now the bad.....upon checking the part the slots and dowel pin are not in the correct location...they are actually backwards. Looking at the posted code the C axis is showing the wrong value like -90 when it should be 90 or -165 when it should be 165. It is like bobcad is looking at the back side of the chuck..? My part with slots is like a mirror image. What am I doing wrong here? I have spent LITERALLY 48 hours trying to figure this out...even called BOBCAD but they did not return my call yet. I somehow need to flip the C axis of rotation, I think. I have dug thru the post processor Nizam sent me but don't see where to mod it. I started on Bobcad v18 so I have been around a while. These parts are now late and I am stuck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks gentlemen.

Re: Bobcad V36 Lathe

Well 470 views and no one can assist. I read a post by Burrman from like 7 years ago about flipping a 1 to a -1 to change the direction of the 4th axis but that was for a mill...but it got me thinking. After some phone calls to bobcad and much trial and error we were able to find the C to Z setting under (top left Cam defaults, Haas ST20Y, submachine, utms, workpiece device) The C axis is represented by the Z axis and this number was a positive 1. I changed this number to a minus 1 and posted but no change. I believed we were in the correct place so I saved and shut bobcad down and booted it back up. The refresh now saw the new setting and held it and now the post is spot on correct instead of backwards. Hope this experience helps somebody out here...thats why we do this.