586,103 active members*
2,878 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > 97 Arrow 500 X axis noise

97 Arrow 500 X axis noise

I have had this machine (97 Arrow) for about a year with only a few hiccups. Tonight while getting things ready in the shop it was running a simple warmup program. There were no issues until the end of the program whe ln the machine returned to home position. After that last move in the program the X axis started an awful high pitched whine. Did the X axis encoder/resolver cable break? Please see the video.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 97 Arrow 500 X axis noise

Sounds like the servo motor has problem.
    If you have a spare motor, you can replace it and see if the problem still there or not.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

I haven't listened to your video, but 2 common things to check.
    1) backlash - although this should not cause servo harmonics unless you have scale feedback. If this is it you can usually use the handwheel to make small moves and the noise will stop/start as you move it.
    2) remove the waycover opposite the motor. The longer ballscrews had a dampener installed on the end. I dont think your 500 had one, but easy enough to check. If it has one, this has to be adjusted correctly or it will screech.

The machine doesn't have scales. I made it to shop on my lunch break, when I powered up the machine it has a bridge board communication failure?
    Could a faulty bridge board cause this issue?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PXL_20240319_174033307.jpg  

Your most recent failure sounds like the RT battery failed so the board needs to be reflashed.

I wouldn't expect the axis issue from your diagnostics failure because your machine can not run if all diagnostics don't pass. However, since the RT board is what controls all axis motion, I suppose there is some possibility they could be related.

Do you run coolant? Is there a chance your waycovers are letting coolant through to your X-axia servo motor. Fluid infusion can definitely cause issues with the motor, and resolver.

Maverick, I sent you an email about this machine before I saw your post. I believe the RT board might be the culprit.

I do run coolant and the way covers are pretty worn. But the X axis way cover on this little machine is one piece and the servo motor has a separate cover. It could have gotten moisture inside I suppose.

The last hiccup from this machine was I/O related. Sometimes if I pushed the e stop or was in the middle of a heavy cut I would get an alarm about Y axis TPA switch. Even though the Y axis would be several inches from the switch. I did trace the problem all the way back to the I/O CARD. After re-seating the I/O card that problem seemed to go away.