586,103 active members*
3,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Specing and sourcing motors for Supermax retrofit

Specing and sourcing motors for Supermax retrofit

I have a Supermax YCM-30 milling machine. I did a control conversion 10 years ago to linuxcnc. I used the old Servo Dynamics motors and amps because they were working well enough. Over the last few years they've gotten more unreliable so I decided to pull the trigger and upgrade them to more modern hardware.

I initially tried DMM Dyn4 drivers and motors but was unable to make them work in velocity mode with my Mesa 7i77/5i25 control. Many people on the LinuxCNC forum have noted that this combination doesn't work in velocity mode because of the simulated encoder output from the DMM stuff.

After a really disappointing experience with DMM, I'm now looking for an alternative. I've tried Yaskawa but they don't seem interested in selling to an individual/hobbyist.

Can someone recommend some hardware or a reputable company that would be willing to work with me?

FWIW, This is not a production machine. I'm the developer of the CAM workbench in FreeCAD and I mostly use it for side projects and as a test platform for CAM stuff I'm working on.

Re: Specing and sourcing motors for Supermax retrofit

Hi,
    I use Delta B2 servos. They are broadly equivalent to DMM. They certainly have a velocity mode, and I have used velocity mode for various projects which require a free running
    motor. The B2 has a 160,000 count per rev encoder. From that encoder it produces a encoder output from 4 lines/rev to 40,000 lines/rev (programmable). So you might say the differential encoder output
    is synthesised. I have used the encoder output for speed and position measurements in a number of projects but have never used it to drive a Mesa board. I can't imagine any reason why a differential encoder,
    be it synthesised or not, would not work.

I believe Delta are branded Sure-Servo in the US.

Craig

Re: Specing and sourcing motors for Supermax retrofit

Yup, SureServo from Automation Direct would be my first choice.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA