586,089 active members*
3,985 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Heidenhain LC series Encoder Wiring

Question Heidenhain LC series Encoder Wiring

I have 3 LC series encoders that all seem to use the same connector, LC 183, LC 185 and a LC495S. I've been trying to find the cables and a pinout for them, but haven't had any luck at all. The best I can find so far is I need a cable like 533631-04, but again, no pinout. I want to wire them into my Hicon 7866 controler that is attached to a PC running Mach4. Hopefully I can wire these in with no problem, but I'm wondering if there is some kind of converter or something that is needed?

Thanks for any help!

Mike

Re: Heidenhain LC series Encoder Wiring

I don't have my Heidenhain catalogues now, but they mainly produced the standard quadrature enc, or the linear absolute versions.
    The quickest would be to just send an email to Heidenhain support , they are usually very good at supplying info
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al, I actually just heard back from them. They had some questions and will hopefully get back to me with the cables and pinouts shortly. I'll post the info once I get it for anyone else who might need it.

Here's what I got from Heidenhain. It looks like the 183 and 185 shouldn't be a problem but I'm not sure about the 495S. It looks like I'd need some kind of converter. Anyone know about that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image002.png   image001.png  

I'm just going to get a different encoder for the axis I was going to use the Siemens one for. Doesn't look like there's a good way of converting the signal.

Looks like they sent me the wrong pinout diagram for the LC 183/5 encoders. The reader head has a 14 pin connector, not a 17. I emailed them again, hopefully they send me the right one. I can find about every other connector pinout, but for some reason that one isn't included anywhere!

Here's the correct pinout for the 14 pin connector. Kinda wish there was a Z pulse.

Another question about them. According to the spec sheet these things put out 25.4 MILLION pulses per inch! 10nm. Does anyone know if that is for the A/B pulses or just the EnDat signal? Is it already quadrature or does that need multiplied by 4?

Thanks,

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14 Pin Pinout.png   14 pin pinout in english.jpg