586,192 active members*
3,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Delta 20 control keeps cutting out

Hi all,

My Delta 20 control has started doing something new, which is causing me problems

It powers on ok, and I can run programs etc. however, it is now quite frequently cutting out and requiring a power cycle to reset.

When it happens, the display goes blank and the servos shut off. The fans in the control box keep running, but the machine is unresponsive to any button pushes. About 1 time in 5, when I cycle the power switch I get a "power fail" message when the control reboots, and all program /offset data is missing and has to be reloaded.

On this machine, I was previously dealing with the power fail (and loss of programs) issue on startup, which i had traced back to a loose connection on the white PF lead on the power supply. That issue seemed to go away when I tightened that connection, but now I'm having this issue while running the machine.

I looked in the control cabinet, and there are a couple of red LEDs lit up when it happens. I tried to take pictures of the LEDS, as I'm not sure which boards are which in the control and not sure how to describe them.

Hoping someone else has run into this issue and can help advise.

I'm thinking its most likely a sign of power supply failure, and have ordered a meanwell QP-320F PSU to see if replacing will solve the issue. If anyone can help advise on the replacement procedure as well, that would also be greatly appreciated!

Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240409_214028.jpg   20240409_214113.jpg   20240409_214104.jpg  

Re: Delta 20 control keeps cutting out

Hi leeko,

...Yes. I would agree the PS would be the 1st to check or time to replace.

Good luck,
    DJ

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    Hi leeko,

...Yes. I would agree the PS would be the 1st to check or time to replace.

Good luck,
    DJ
    I replaced the power supply on my delta 20 with a meanwell qp-320f, and got everything installed last night. Unfortunately, my symptoms are the same with the new power supply - the control runs fine, but periodically stops responding with a blank screen and the servos shut down. The red WDT FAIL led on the PIC board, and the red PROC WDT FAIL led on the AUX board are lit when this happens.

I'm not seeing any ripple on the new PSU Voltages, at least with my non TRMS meter. They're reading as 25.0v, 5.11v, +15.1v, -15.1v.

I had previously pulled all the boards and cleaned the contacts, as well as inspecting the capacitors and crystal oscillators, and everything looked ok. I plan to redo all of that later today.

Can anyone suggest anything else to look for before calling parts and smarts?

Thanks

...check all cool Fans.....could try removing and reinstalling all the IC Chips on all the boards. Look around or feel for anything getting extra hot.

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...check all cool Fans.....could try removing and reinstalling all the IC Chips on all the boards. Look around or feel for anything getting extra hot.
    Huh, it's interesting you say that - I left the control cabinet open, and it's been on/idle for 5 hours now without freezing. It doesn't feel particularly hot in the cabinet, and all the fans seem to be running ok, but maybe... Going to leave it running until it freezes again, then I'll start pulling components etc

Thanks

Nope, still freezing despite having the cabinet open. Tonight, it did it within about 20 minutes of switching it on.

I read a forum post tonight that mentioned having an e-stop condition when the auto way oiler is empty. Is that a possibility here? My mill has a bijur oiler on the back, with a solenoid attached. I think it might be empty, but won't be able to check till tomorrow.