586,219 active members*
3,444 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Can't set up a used machine (AXYZ)

Can't set up a used machine (AXYZ)

I have recently purchased a used AXYZ machine that the computer needed to be replaced I've replaced the computer the Windows 7 32bit (which I understand is what was used when the machine was originally manufactured) I installed the tool path software. When I start the software, an error comes up saying that it can't find the CNC. I've worked on a CNC machine before but simply doing the cuts never in the background, so this is unfamiliar ground to me. What am I missing, I’m hoping it's something simple

Thanks

Re: Can't set up a used machine (AXYZ)

You may find this earlier thread useful: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/comme...yz-5012-a.html

Thank you.

You said you installed the toolpath software - did you install any CNC control software, like Mach3 or UCCNC? Tool path (CAM) software opens your drawing or model and writes a tool path (G-code) program that tells the CNC control software how to cut your part. But it doesn't execute it. If you have a 32-bit Windows 7 computer with a parallel port, you should be able to get Mach3 to work. But if you don't have a parallel port, or are running a 64-bit version of Windows, then you'll need an adapter/motion controller to run it from another port, like ethernet or USB. .
    Andrew Werby
    Website

The guy I purchased the machine from set up the computer for me. It was supposed to be set up when I purchased it but he was being a bit difficult. I use Vcarve to make the G-code but it was my understand that you can run the machine directly from AXYZ Toolpath and don't need Mach3, is that not correct? I'm running Windows 7 32-bit, and there is no parallel port on the machine but I suppose I can add one if needed.

How are you expecting the AXYZ machine to talk to the computer? As there is no parallel port, is there a USB cable, or an Ethernet cable, or?

You don't need Mach 3 or similar if the controller is in original condition.The machine will work with the file that you send it,provided the computer can detect it.I can't see enough detail about the machine to look for details of the exact configuration so what follows is based on possibly unwarranted assumptions.

The AXYZ machines I am aware of were connected to the computer by an RS485 and it needs to be present and have the correct drivers installed on the computer.The CD that was probably supplied with the machine from the factory will have had the driver as well as Toolpath.Toolpath is a horrible and dated piece of software in my opinion,but it does work if you immerse yourself in the rather individual way it works,compared to more recent alternatives.There are two ways you can use Toolpath and the simplest is to use it only as a means to transmit Gcode.It used to have an 8 character file name length limitation-like most other software that pre-dated Windows 95,so you may need to get creative if you have a large library of parts to produce.

It is possible to create Gcode directly from .dxf files and I am eternally grateful for not having to do it this way.Which is only feasible if you have the software to create the cutting programs yourself.I hope the guy you bought the machine from passed on the manual and the software as life is a lot more difficult without those things.There is a similar thread on another forum that might get you moving in the right direction https://www.mycncuk.com/threads/1560...highlight=AXYZ

Thanks to everyone for all the great information.
    The system has the RS485 with the drivers that we provided from AXYZ. That was what I was having issues with. I'm not familiar with the Toolpath software. The old machine we used to do the drawings in Vcarve and the CNC had Mach 3. From the little bit that I've learned so far, this Toolpath software takes the DFX file directly. I'm planning on still using Vcarve to make the G-code and just use the toolpath as I did in Mach 3. I have the manual, and I'll be going over it in the next few days.

I've used the combination of programming in Vcarve and using Toolpath to send the program many times and it works.It is also much easier than fighting the technology of Toolpath to create the programs.There are a few considerations that have to be kept in mind:using the correct post processor is one,making sure the file name is short enough to be read by the controller is another and you will soon know if you have it wrong as the file won't appear as you scroll through the list of files that have been sent to the controller.Most important of all is don't run the machine until you have set up the F4 and F8 values or you may have the experience of a man who contacted me.He had bought a used machine and wanted to see if it ran,so he powered up the machine and found a file,which he loaded and then pressed the green button.He was so pleased with himself for about six seconds and then the tool dug into the spoilboard as the program had been created for a much shorter tool.One of the guys who worked there suggested getting in touch with me to find out what had happened and it wasn't hard to determine the truth.New spoilboard time!

Checkout this one: https://cnc4pc.com/forum/projects/to...acro-for-uccnc
    You can find all the configuration files in the post.

It is a straightforward retrofit. We can help you with it. We have done many.

Arturo Duncan
    https://cnc4pc.com