586,477 active members*
3,787 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC program

CNC program

I am new to CNC lathe programming,
    I understand G50 code to zero, G1 to place the machine in position and M3 to turn the motor, I was wondering if there was anyone who could help out with actually writing the program on the pic that I will attach.
    I need help really with figuring out speed of motor, and feed rate. I can use G1 to bring the x and z axis to where I need them but really have no clue on how fast cutting should be or how fast F speed rate should be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails valve.jpg  

Re: CNC program

You may want to invest in a programming manual. Perhaps the one that comes with your machine, or maybe one by Peter Smid or a guy called Sinha. (Check Amazon) Lathes can be dangerous going in with little knowledge.

To start... G50 is for setting the maximum speed of the spindle in CSS mode used on lathes. (Constant Surface Speed) This does not mean what the top speed of the spindle is, but the maximum speed under the current setup and cutting conditions. Every setup will be different. G1 is for Feeding the cutter. G0 is for positioning it to the start point (at the current Rapid Rate) of where you would switch to G1 to start cutting. (At the assigned feed rate.) Typically in Feed per Rev.

You normally get your speed and feed rates from the manufacturer of the carbide Insert you're using. Each insert type, size, material make up, clearance angles and chip breaker type determines it's best feed and speed settings. At least to start.

The best way to learn to program is to take the time to do it yourself. I can tell you that starting with square stock is going to be tough on a carbide insert, so you'll want to start with a very tough insert until you get down to where you're turning a cylinder. Then you could switch to something more wear resistant but not as tough.

You'll learn very little getting this program handed to you on a silver platter. Plus there are few who would take the time to do it for free anyway.

Good luck!