It looks like I need to replace my ancient SoundLogic board, since I can't figure out how to make it control my VFD. (It's got 6 pins sticking out of the board labled "spindle ctrl", but no indication of what they are supposed to do.) What are the favorite breakout boards people currently use? I've got 4 axes to control with mixed servo and stepper drivers. The Soundlogic board connects to a PC EPP parallel port with a 25-pin Centronics cable, but I don't suppose I'll find one like that. Do the new boards convert to USB or Ethernet, or do I need to use a separate motion controller adapter for that? The important thing is driving the VFD with on/off and variable speed. It's looking for a 1-10 volt analog signal, which (I'm guessing) is triggered by a command like M01 S12000 and turned off by a M05 or M5 command. Do I need a separate relay for the on/off function, or is the 1-10v signal all I need?

Also, do modern BOBs deal with 5, 6 or more axes? This machine only has 4, but I've got another one in mind that will have 7: 2 for X, 1 each for Y, Z, and A, plus 2 more for a head that tilts and pivots the spindle. If 6 is the limit, can I use the X channel to power 2 drivers simultaneously?