586,106 active members*
3,080 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HOW TO MOVE A MACHINE

Hellow to everyone out there
    first off I am knew to this group and there is alot of info in here.
    I was woundering if anyone has ran across the same problem i have I have this 3000lb lathe in a garage and i want to move it to my house inside my garage is there some kind of wheels out there strong enough to manuver the machine around once the machine is in my garage. hope i made some kind of sence.

There are many types of rollers for moving machinery. What we have done in the past in our shop is use 1" bar stock and lay them on the floor and roll the machine around ontop of them. All you need is a good pinch bar to get the first few under the machine and off you go.
    Today we use air pads and flot them around...it's really nice.

V

We use one of them hand pallete things, you pump it up with the handle using both hands and let it down where you want the machine to go. Don;t know if it would handle your weight, but they must make/ hire something that does. I'd go to your nearest hire shop and ask them- they would have had similar enquiries before no doubt.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

unloading it?

getting it off the trailer can be tricky!
    Slide it off. Wheee......
    Lift it of (by paying some crane driver)
    Breaking roof beams frightens my wife to!
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

You could weld a HUGE gantry out of I beams and put it on wheels. Personally, I'd go with a pallet jack, or the bar stock idea. They're both simple and keep the machine close to the ground and at low speed as well. SAFETY!

thanks for all the replys. I am going to try that tow truck idea to haul it to my home then i will get about ten friends to try to roll it up my garage.
    thanks to every reply.

Donnybrass,

Be very careful, especially with all those people around. Those big machines can get squirrelly real quick. You should definetly think about renting a crane from an equipment rental place. There are also lowboy trailers out there to move it from place to place with.
    Here's a link that shows some great pictures of machine gantries and cranes. Just scroll down a bit.
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCWishLis...rProjects.html

Dear DONNYBRASS,

The people who built the Pyramids and Stonehenge used cylinders as rollers.

It seems to have worked.

Best wishes,

Martin