586,110 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 15 12311

My steel frame small router (Madvac Inspiration)

HI All,

check out the pictures and comment. I am working 8 + 4 hours with 3 hrs travel add on daily to office. I might type much less and post more pictures.

might be - end up with more typing than pics- you never know

Also inspired by Hayden's router and the Madvac.

Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.JPG   2.JPG   3.JPG   4.JPG  

5.JPG   6.JPG   7.JPG   8.JPG  

9.JPG   10.JPG   11.JPG   12.JPG  

13.JPG   14.JPG  

Your new router

contactirfu,
    Your new router project looks great ! Where are you finding the time & resources to work on these routers. I'm very impressed. I e-mailed Hugo and he's testing rev. 00E. cross your fingers and say the right words to the right Gods, I am
    Tenmetalman

Quote Originally Posted by tenmetalman View Post
    contactirfu,
    Your new router project looks great ! Where are you finding the time & resources to work on these routers. I'm very impressed. I e-mailed Hugo and he's testing rev. 00E. cross your fingers and say the right words to the right Gods, I am
    Tenmetalman
    Actually I totally drained of energy paul, think i will be on drugs sooner and grow older than others

well the time i mentioned in my previous post and the resources, i took up a bank loan for this!

hope all turns up well .........only hoping for the best yet!

Praying yes,

Great built, you are very "devotee", may I know your energy source ?

its looking great. i like how you're using supported rails rather then just the end supports. thats going to make it really precise on the cuts. good job. keep it up.
    http://www.putfile.com/powernaudio "some of my car audio install page ",
    maybe a CNC router will make my audio enclosure builds allot easier. lol

Quote Originally Posted by PowerNaudio View Post
    its looking great. i like how you're using supported rails rather then just the end supports. thats going to make it really precise on the cuts. good job. keep it up.
    It will also help me keep the mounting easier and i dont have to probably get the rail mounting either epoxied or machined, though I know it might have helped, i just dont have that sort of metal powder epoxies here.

Just finished mounting the x rail yesterday and got to move it easily. will post a video soon of the rail functioning.

RGDS
    Irfan

Hello,

Looks good so far. Have you checked the straitness of the steel you are mounting the supported rail to, comparing the left and right x-axis spans? Also, have you added some weight to the center to of the X-axis span to simulate the gantry weight, checking for deflection. The way it is designed, you could still add a vertical beam under the center point if that is a problem. Looks good though!!

If you need, I could stress that frame for you to see any possible deflection on the cutting bet or linear rails etc. But I don't think it will be a problem, just know our services are here if you need them.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
    Brian
    WWW.CNCRouterSource.com

Brain,

Thnks for ur response, the square tubes I cut were straight and since after mounting the rails yesterday has given me more confidence inteh bolted type of fitting and I suddenly realised that I am a better metal worker too apart from being just a regular mechanical engineer.

I have levelled teh table to the best of my eye and mounted teh rails and they do work good and flat.

Thanks for offering to stress the frame out for me, but I am in India, so its outta Q!

BTW my DAD and my cousin were a great help in the build. The only pain part in assembling a bolted design is the number of times you have to dis-assemble and re-assemble, its just PIA!

Thanks for all comments

RGDS
    Irfan

contactirfu,

No problem. I did mean stress it through software in a digital format of course lol. I too am a mechanical/aerospace engineer.

Keep us posted on your progress!!

Regards
    Brian
    WWW.CNCRouterSource.com

Quote Originally Posted by gth629e View Post
    contactirfu,

No problem. I did mean stress it through software in a digital format of course lol. I too am a mechanical/aerospace engineer.

Keep us posted on your progress!!

Regards
    We can do that here too!, and I myself dont trust it much. sure will keep all posted! my internet connection at home is all f'd up, need to get it running to post the latest videos and pics.

Update onX-axis

Chk out the pictures - they speak for themselves, Manjeet thanks for the end blocks man. U rock.

The men in the picture are my DAD and Cousin! they are my helpers on weekends and DAD is a full time help too. DAD organizes most of the stuff while I am away at office. Man DAD's Rock too.

RGDS
    Irfan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15.JPG   17.JPG   18.jpg  

Gantry update

Finished the gantry almost!

The20mm dia linear slides took quite a while to mount accurately,well it was done finally!

Now need to build the Z axis tomorrow. Hope it comes out well.

Also the y ball screw will be back from repair and end machining soon. I do have a lot to concentrate upon!

Wish me luck guys!

RGDS
    Irfan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21.JPG   23.JPG   22.JPG   20.JPG  

19.JPG  

Z axis almost done!

Hi All,

Just an update!

Finally satisfied with my Z axis done with tubes . originally planned out of Alu plate but finally done using mild steel tubes.

Do post comments!

RGDS
    Irfan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 28.JPG   27.JPG   24.JPG   25.JPG  

machine is looking real good and strong

Looking good, I like steel routers (have one myself). But I wouldn't call that one small...

Very nice and solid built, will definately give nice cuts. You should/may have some plans on keeping x rails clean while in use.

Hi All,

Thanks for your feed back, here are some videos of the pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S5dVGmrlEM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmPT85_cxec

Yup i do have some plans to keep teh X rails clean, will tell it out only when i do it! bcos may be I have more than one ideas to utilize on the machine.

Also think I should't have called it a small machine - however considering that I will be building a mechmate soon - this is considerably small to that. so no problem there.

RGDS
    Irfan

Y axis ballscrew update.

Had the end supports of the ballscrew made and mounted onto the machine for a look,the guy who reconditioned the screw SCREWED it up on the support end.

It was in no way the dia of the bearing and now i need help,i will post some more photos requesting for help.

Meanwhile enjoy these pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29.JPG   30.JPG   31.JPG  

Hi

Nice machine.

I have suggestion re. improving your cutting torque.

I think a variable height table that can be raised lowered by whatever means achievable would help.

If you cut everything at the height the table is now I think you will find some materials easier to cut than others.

Basically the harder the material, the less you would want to extend your z axis.

That leads me onto the second point..... Given that your X rails are low and your Y rails are high, I would beef up the gantry sides as much as possible.

Clearly there are a few introduced moments in your design and those will be your points of potential flex.

Hope that helps.

Enjoy

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

Andy,

I completely agree, i am expecting there to be some flex. But we will know only when we run the router which is probably a month down the road, I will keep you posted on it.

I believe that unless we see a problem there is no need to solve it!, sort of to save some cash.

Andy, alternatively can u just sketch the moments over one of the pictures using paint and post it, would be interesting to see and would help me to decide where i need to beef up!

RGDS
    Irfan

Page 1 of 15 12311