586,110 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 14 of 15 412131415
    Irfan,
    Attached is a screenshot of the motortuning dialog, which is where you change the direction pre-change. I agree, it's weird that it's only one axis, perhaps you damaged something while switching cabinets. ESD damages sometimes shows very strange symptoms. Bypassing the BOB and then swapping drives should tell you.

Another thing to try could be to swap the motors between X and Y, does the problem stay on the Y-axis or does it follow the motor? Swap the step and direction signals between the BOB and the drives, is the problem still on Y although the signals now goes thru what used to be the circuitry for X etc...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot.JPG  

yup - how stupid of me its all 5uS.

I have to test by swapping drives now and the direct cable.

RGDS
    IRfan

Oh My god!

swapping the drives did it!

its all working pretty well - just have to test em all a gain by cutting some thing

RGDS
    IRfan

Very Nice Project

you are very lucky to have your family involved in such a project.

VERY nice build!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by contactirfu View Post
    Had the end supports of the ballscrew made and mounted onto the machine for a look,the guy who reconditioned the screw SCREWED it up on the support end.

It was in no way the dia of the bearing and now i need help,i will post some more photos requesting for help.

Meanwhile enjoy these pics.
    Hi Irfan,

I have a question, the way you mount your linear bearing open type is on its side does it posed any problem at all if you have a much heavier Z axis?
    I will building mine soon and I need to figure out how to mount those linear bearing open type correctly all I know is just to lay them flat instead of on their side.

there have not been any problems yet - but a better option would be like in this video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP-ANQyZ_HY"]YouTube - Hi Speed CNC Wood carving Router[/ame]

Hi Irfan,

I'm not talking about the ballscrew in Z axis but I'm talking about the linear motion ball bearing open type that you installed in your X axis (the way you mount your linear motion ball bearing OT is on their side). My question would be are those types of linear motion ball bearing open type can also be mounted on their side like that? because it is an open type.
    BTW very nice machine Irfan you did an outstanding job!

open types have no issues what ever way they are mounted, you can mount them inverted too, the reason I posted the video is to let you know the way these linear bearing have be mounted on the gantry -this is the correct way.

while I was building the machine I was very naive and I missed that point - but till now I have no issues with this machine - its been performing wonderfully well.

RGDS
    Irfan

Thanks for the info Irfan. I was going to mount the X like mechmate but now decided to mount it like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by 15mgtar View Post
    Thanks for the info Irfan. I was going to mount the X like mechmate but now decided to mount it like yours.
    if using linear slides then go that way, if using V wheels then go the mechmate way.

Irfan, what kind of lubricant do you put on your linear bearings OT and ballscrews?

I use general purpose lithium grease for the linear slides and 68 grade hydraulic oil for the ball screws.

Change of plans

Its been a long time since I have used this router - basically due to my move to the Mechmate,

now since I have learnt so much over the period, I am planning to do an upgrade to this machine- I will be moving from the current servo to entire stepper control, adding a 1.5KW spindle and also have a fopurth axis, here are the pic's in CAD.

RGDS
    Irfan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gantry1.jpg   gantry2.jpg   gantry3.jpg   gantry4.jpg  

I will be reusing the gantry and the Z axis, I will use laser cut 8mm thk Mild steel plates for the sides,so ideas I ahve used from the mechmate site for the Y axis drives.

RGDS
    IRfan

Linear bearings mounted in various positions.

Hi

As was mentioned for the most part I agree mounting this type of linear system has no problems in any orientation. Except for when the open blocks are mounted upside down. You must de-rate the load capacity by 50 %. This fact was provided to me by the manufacturer tech support engineer.
    Regards Barry
    Here`s a pic of my build using Thomson round rails upside down.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...?t=7020&page=6

Quote Originally Posted by 15mgtar View Post

new frame

here is the new frame

I have some questions, I am using a laser cut 8 mm thk mild steel plate - the profile is as shown in the attached pics, let me know if it looks structurally ok...

the motor for the gantry ball screw will also be mounted on this plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1366.jpg   IMG_1367.jpg   IMG_1368.jpg   IMG_1369.jpg  

IMG_1370.jpg   IMG_1371.jpg   sideplate2.jpg  

That looks very sturdy to me Irfan. If you see any end to end movement you can weld some bracing in an inverted "V" on each side and the ends to help provide anti-racking and also provide additional mid span support on the longer upper rails. The C-channel top rails probably does not need it.

The 8mm plate is a little thicker than our standard 5/16" plates. That should be more than thick enough for your motor mount.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Hi carveone thanks, - I have made it as a olt on frame - each member there is individually bolted and currently its very rigid, I will be using mechmate's motor plates and assy for the gear drive on the large axis for this one.

I am moving to steppers, but before that wanted to finish off the mechanicals and then order the spindle, steppers and VFD.

RGDS
    Irfan

Hi Irfan, any reason for going to steppers rather than servo's ?, usually people go the other way

New frame looks nice and solid, gotta love steel for the frame !

Cheers.

Russell.

Page 14 of 15 412131415