Quote Originally Posted by Ben Olson View Post
it looks like I have some checking to do , I did verify the chip ( using IC Prog ) but I was unsure about the 10k variable resistor ( I am an electronics newbie )

I have to turn the pot all the way one direction to see the squares

the power supply to all the pins on the IC seem to be OK

I am a little unclear on checking the config bits is this the same as verifying?

thanks , Ben
Yes, that variable resistor is controlling the contrast (I beleive) on the display, you should turn it down till you can not see the black squares. (I think. LOL! really helpful huh?

RE the config bits, there will be a way in your programmer program, the software that programs the pic chip, to configure the configuration bits.. there will be things like ext osc, int osc, memory protect, etc.. you should be able to read the pic processor's memory space out and those config bits will reflect how the device is programmed. You need to make sure that the configuration bits are set correctly according to the details of the project plan. I'd have to dig to see it again, but there will be , SOMEWHERE , in the design, an indication as to which configuration bits need to be set and which ones need to be cleared. Most often, the project, when compiled or assembled will have a configuration word in there thta will have all those details specified, and the programming software will pick it up from there. but if not, you have to set them manually in some kind of menu before you program the device. Also, if they are in the project itself, you will want to make sure tht your programming software knows to use the ones in the project files and not the ones that you select manual, or vice versa if they are not set within the source code file.

I hope this helps.

Rick