587,066 active members*
3,436 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Hi Folks, I bought the pre built/tested unit and keyboard. I've built it and connected it to a TB6600 driver a 200 step nema 23(2.8A) motor, my table is a vertex HE4 90-1 ratio.
    Everything works fine but no matter how I set it in the settings or set the dip switches on the driver the thing just won't drive right. If I set it to DEG.and set it at 90° it only turns the table 10°? I've set the driver to 400 steps and it won't run at all, in fact I can only get the motor to run properly if I set all the dip switches to the default off position. I assumed a faulty driver so replaced it with another new one from a different manufacturer and I get exactly the same results. Tearing my hair out now (which at my stage in life i can't afford!!) Any suggestions or advice will be gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.

Re: Rotary table indexer

Quote Originally Posted by Smithwrecker View Post
    Hi Folks, I bought the pre built/tested unit and keyboard. I've built it and connected it to a TB6600 driver a 200 step nema 23(2.8A) motor, my table is a vertex HE4 90-1 ratio.
    Everything works fine but no matter how I set it in the settings or set the dip switches on the driver the thing just won't drive right. If I set it to DEG.and set it at 90° it only turns the table 10°? I've set the driver to 400 steps and it won't run at all, in fact I can only get the motor to run properly if I set all the dip switches to the default off position. I assumed a faulty driver so replaced it with another new one from a different manufacturer and I get exactly the same results. Tearing my hair out now (which at my stage in life i can't afford!!) Any suggestions or advice will be gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.
    I've replied to this via email but I thought a reply here might be of help to anyone else with a similar issue (and in case my email gets whacked by a spam filter).

So setting the motor to 400 steps should allow it to run without any issues, that its making a noise suggests an issue between the driver and the motor.
    (More so because you can get it to move with other settings.)

In the past issues like this are usually because the motor isn't wired correctly to the driver.
    (Usually because the motor is cross wired).
    The other possibility is a duff motor although this is fairly rare.

So the motor has two windings - A and B.
    These are provided by 4 wires usually labelled A+, A- and B+, B-.
    They should be connected to the same terminals on the stepper driver.

I would start by checking these.