586,404 active members*
2,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 36 of 41 263435363738
    Quote Originally Posted by kwackers View Post
    Hi Zahnrad,
    there is a component set, pcb and programmed PIC on my website. There's no LCD but they're available cheaply on eBay (but expensive enough not to be worth my while buying them just to keep in 'stock').

With regards a completed unit I'm still undecided. The dilemma is the connections, I can build and test a unit with no connections leaving it to the buyer to solder wiring (or fit plugs) directly to the PCB, my issue with this is that someone who's happy to do this might be happy to build the unit anyway.
    I did consider sockets but these add to the cost and the buyer would still need to wire up the plugs - and for most they may prefer to simply solder wires directly.
    Then there's the keyboard connection, I can't populate this since it's likely there's no standard keypad being used...
    Finally there's the increase in cost as I factor in my time.

All in all I'm not sure whether it's an idea with legs although I might make a couple up with the above proviso's and them up on my website.
    (If anyone has any comments either way though I'd be happy to hear them.)

Cheers,
    Steve.
    Steve,

If you are inclined to do so, PM or email me a price and let me know. We can go from there. I just have SO many projects going on and really cannot undertake another one, but would like to have one of these.

I can tell you what hardware I already have on hand if that helps any...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    Steve,

If you are inclined to do so, PM or email me a price and let me know. We can go from there. I just have SO many projects going on and really cannot undertake another one, but would like to have one of these.

I can tell you what hardware I already have on hand if that helps any...

Thanks.
    Hi Zahnrad, I've put the completed (and tested) module on my site (World of Ward :: Home, in the 'shop' section).
    As I mentioned it doesn't include any connectors or wiring the presumption being the purchaser will probably just solder the wires directly to the pcb.

To turn it into a complete divider system (minus the table and motor) you'll need a suitable 4x4 keypad, the stepper driver, case and power supply.

TBH, it's not a cheap option, if you don't mind soldering stuff up you can make it somewhat cheaper yourself...

Cheers,
    Steve.

It took two months, but I finally remembered where I misplaced that thread... Ha! Steve, you have mail.

I know Steve has a basic list of things necessary ( and example places to get them ) to complete his indexer on his site, but has anyone ever put together a list of the things needed BESIDES the electronic components for JUST the board? I need to get a stepper driver and some manner of enclosure now... I know I can easily find some for myself, but thought it would be nice to see a list of the ones that others in this thread have found useful and satisfactory and even those that people are warned away from. I'm also looking at something like this keypad at the moment. LINKY I like the ability to customize the labels. Thanks.

Hi Zahnrad, the keypad you've linked to is almost identical to the one I link to in the parts list on my site from Farnell. The Farnell one is (was) cheaper and the connections are guaranteed so it will simply plug directly to the board and work.

If anyone fancied a more 'robust' keypad I've ordered some keypad PCB's. They're intended to be fitted to a front panel which has a 4x4 matrix of 12mm holes drilled such that the front of the keys sits flush with the front of the panel. A suitable front panel overlay can then be glued to the front panel which should give a nice professional look. (I made an overlay by simply printing onto thin photo paper and laminating it).
    The only issue with this compared to the membrane pad is that it reduces depth behind the keypad (which is where you'd probably mount the stepper driver) so requires a deeper enclosure if you wish to do this.
    Once these arrive and have been tested I'll put them up on my site along with a 'kit' of buttons and button caps (and add some example front panel graphics to the downloads). Will be a couple of weeks though.

Thanks, I'll look forward to seeing them. Any recommendations on stepper drives? I need to get one. Don't really see a need for anything crazy robust for this, but am open to suggestions and interested in hearing of others' experiences.

No one? Bueller?

Steve, got the box today. Very nice bit of kit. Well done and thank you.
    I need to order a stepper driver and power supply to go with the motor I have. ( Vexta P2610 e2.9 )
    Can anyone share what they're using for stepper drivers? Ideally would like something small that would fit in the enclosure as well but really do not know enough to make an informed choice.

Thanks.

Can't find info for that motor, is the number correct?

I use a DIY drive, some others use a Gecko G251.
    This DIY should work also: THB6064 MassMind Stepper Motor Driver Kit
    Open source CNC electronics and accessories:
    http://users.skynet.be/ldt/CNC%20electronics/THB6064AH.html

No one? Bueller?

Thanks.
    That should be "anyone?, anyone?" :-)

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by lucas View Post
    Lucas,

How hot does the THB6064 get? I would like to use that driver and was thinking I could use the heavy aluminum box that I bought as the heat sink.

Do you think that will work or does the THB6064 get so hot I would not be able to hold the box?

Thanks,
    Arvid

Can't find info for that motor, is the number correct?

I use a DIY drive, some others use a Gecko G251.
    This DIY should work also: THB6064 MassMind Stepper Motor Driver Kit
    No... it was late and I munged that up... Should have been PH2610-e2.9 ( 150 oz/in ) Thanks for the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    That should be "anyone?, anyone?" :-)

cheers, Ian
    Yes, you are correct, Sir. Same explanation... a little too tired to have been posting...

Quote Originally Posted by arvidj View Post
    How hot does the THB6064 get?
    Arvid
    Heating depends on the motor current and supply voltage.
    Below 2A almost no heatsinking needed, between 2 and 3Amp something like a CPU heatsink but some airflow must be possible, air holes or slots..
    Above 3A a small fan is needed.
    It has automatic idle current reduction: it only heats up when the motor is moving.

That aluminium box has a massive surface, I never tried that but suspect that it will be good enough for 3Amp. Some internal air flow would be good.

I use a DIY drive, some others use a Gecko G251. This DIY should work also: THB6064 MassMind Stepper Motor Driver Kit
    Lucas, I appreciate that, but I am looking for something I do not need to solder or assemble. My time is extremely limited presently, so I need to choose my battles as it were, and buy a ready to go unit. Any other recommendations? While I am LOATHE to consider it, what about the ones that someone posted earlier? LINKY Worthwhile? Or will they die a silent death in quick fashion? Thanks.

Zahnrad, not sure if it's relevant (since I don't know enough about 6064 vs 6560 chipsets) but a quick search on eBay for "6064 stepper driver" turned a few such boards up in the UK at least. (e.g. LINK)

Lucas, I appreciate that, but I am looking for something I do not need to solder or assemble. My time is extremely limited presently, so I need to choose my battles as it were, and buy a ready to go unit. Any other recommendations? While I am LOATHE to consider it, what about the ones that someone posted earlier? LINKY Worthwhile? Or will they die a silent death in quick fashion? Thanks.
    The stand alone drive you linked i'm pretty sure is just one of the bogus/fake yoocnc drives in a case. Someone on here recently opened one up and it was identical, and thus prone to the same issues as the 3 axis controller kits. Others might consider it worth trying, but I personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Something like a PM542 or later generation should be available cheaply and they are rock solid drivers.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Smile

I couldn't find a decent datasheet for your motor, just something with the following info:
    >Two phase, double shaft
    >Unipolar/Bipolar
    >8 Wire
    >3.36 V
    >2.8 Amp Unipolar, 4.1 Amp bipolar parallel

Does this match with your motor?

I fully agree with aarggh on the cheap Chinese Ebay drives.

A leadshine (P)M542 would be on the limit with 4.2 Amp max. but could be used if you wire the motor in serie, current for the motor would then be 2.1 Amp.
    Disadvantage of the series connection is the loss of torque at high speed, but speed is something you don't need for a divider.

Good drives wich would suit your needs are the Leadshine PM542 (old), M542 (recent), DM542 (newest) or the Gecko 251.
    I would go for the DM542 or Gecko 251 if you want a trouble free setup.
    You could also try to find a friend to solder the THB6064 kit

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    The stand alone drive you linked i'm pretty sure is just one of the bogus/fake yoocnc drives in a case. Someone on here recently opened one up and it was identical, and thus prone to the same issues as the 3 axis controller kits. Others might consider it worth trying, but I personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Something like a PM542 or later generation should be available cheaply and they are rock solid drivers.
    cheers, Ian
    Thanks for the heads up on the chicom stuff. Really did not want to go down that road, but wasn't seeing the other stuff due to my ignorance. On the PM542 - thanks, but holy balls, Batman! £129.05!

I couldn't find a decent datasheet for your motor, just something with the following info:
    >Two phase, double shaft
    >Unipolar/Bipolar
    >8 Wire
    >3.36 V
    >2.8 Amp Unipolar, 4.1 Amp bipolar parallel
    Does this match with your motor?
    Yep. That's them.

A leadshine (P)M542 would be on the limit with 4.2 Amp max. but could be used if you wire the motor in serie, current for the motor would then be 2.1 Amp. Disadvantage of the series connection is the loss of torque at high speed, but speed is something you don't need for a divider.
    Exactly my thinking. And especially for the other experimental purpose I have for it...

Good drives wich would suit your needs are the Leadshine PM542 (old), M542 (recent), DM542 (newest) or the Gecko 251.
    I would go for the DM542 or Gecko 251 if you want a trouble free setup.
    You could also try to find a friend to solder the THB6064 kit
    Thank you. I appreciate the input. Looks like I will likely just pony up the $75 for the G251... Trouble free is an actual design point, here... Thanks again.

Thanks for the heads up on the chicom stuff. Really did not want to go down that road, but wasn't seeing the other stuff due to my ignorance. On the PM542 - thanks, but holy balls, Batman! £129.05!
    That price is unreal, for some reason barely any PM542's seem to be coming up in my Ebay search, which can't be right as usually there's dozens of them, and they normally fall around $35-$45 each. Any driver from Gecko will generally be pretty superior anyway so the G251 would be ideal, and fairly bullet proof! I don't think anyone would ever regret buying a Gecko.

cheers, Ian

Well... I have Steve's bits, ordered a Gecko, ordered the matrix keypad ( splurged for the CK one that I can insert labels under ), have the stepper, and have a temporary ( for testing purposes ) spindle/indexer. Actually, I have numerous things I can use for this including a small Elliot dividing head but for now I am using a simple spindexer with a pulley out back. If my theory and test works out, I'll be making a nice stainless chunk to throw some deep radial bearings ( 6010RS ) in with a 5C spindle...

So... looks like I need to buy a laptop power supply and an enclosure and I should be good. Have I missed anything? Maybe a plug for the enclosure so I can just use the laptop PS plug?

Page 36 of 41 263435363738