586,062 active members*
4,648 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Alibre CAD and Mecsoft CAM Together

Alibre CAD and Mecsoft CAM Together

This is getting pretty interesting lately and though it might be of interest to Alibre users.

http://www.alibre.com/products/addons/alibre-cam.asp

Cheers
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I have it, but it does have some limitations. I can't see the toolpath in the simulator on a Windows Vista machine. I have to use it on my XP PC. and it doesn't like 3d objects. That will require the Visual Mill upgrade.

It is great for brackets and things of that nature though. At least for me. I have limited experience in cad all together, so these limitations may just be my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by cjdavis618 View Post
    I have it, but it does have some limitations. I can't see the toolpath in the simulator on a Windows Vista machine. I have to use it on my XP PC. and it doesn't like 3d objects. That will require the Visual Mill upgrade.

It is great for brackets and things of that nature though. At least for me. I have limited experience in cad all together, so these limitations may just be my ignorance.
    I would not say ignorance. You haven't had enough experience with the software yet LOL.

Take your time and explore as many options as possible. You will find some really cool capabilities.

BTW: Vista is a DUD to begin with LOL.
    Cheers!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Anybody using engineering software CAD/CAM should STAY AWAY from VISTA for as long as possible, you are good people, you don't deserve the incompatabilities and aggravation.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Agreed. Unfortunately, my line of work requires that I have vista for support reasons and I would like to use the power of this particular desktop for my hobbies as well. I can dual boot the system, but that defeats the main purpose of me working in my office.

Service Pack 1 for Vista is almost out and should resolve a lot of the turmoil it has caused. (And will invariably cause more as well) Microsoft = (wedge)

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    Anybody using engineering software CAD/CAM should STAY AWAY from VISTA for as long as possible, you are good people, you don't deserve the incompatabilities and aggravation.
    As long as we keep spreading the word DareBee hopefully enough people will hear.

Anyone that reads this Thread, spread the word.

Stay Away From Vista if you use CAD/CAM Software
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Not just CAD CAM. A lot of things you take for granted won't work either.
    My 6 year old widebody printer would have to be replace ($1.5k). A lot of the little engineering calculater programs and simple "convenience" programs would have to be replaced.
    Not to mention as well that Vista uses TWICE the system power as XPP just to run itself! SHAME

We will all be forced to change but I am going to hang on as long as I can, for compatibility reasons.
    I learnt my lesson a few years ago when I built 1 of our machines using XP64.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

One thing seems to be Vista 32 verses 64. 32 bit systems seem to work with more compatiblity.

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    Not just CAD CAM. A lot of things you take for granted won't work either.
    My 6 year old widebody printer would have to be replace ($1.5k). A lot of the little engineering calculater programs and simple "convenience" programs would have to be replaced.
    Not to mention as well that Vista uses TWICE the system power as XPP just to run itself! SHAME

We will all be forced to change but I am going to hang on as long as I can, for compatibility reasons.
    I learnt my lesson a few years ago when I built 1 of our machines using XP64.
    What else is wrong with the new Vista?? So fare Compatibility with software, Accessories Printers etc., Graphics Cards (heard this on another board), and general programs.

What about USB devises, Monitors, Cable Modems, Wireless Keyboards, and Mice? Do these plug and play items work with Vista?
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Drivers for older devices are the hardest to come by. Some will not work if they are not updated while others are built into the system and you will plug and play where it would not in XP.

I have a Canon scanner and I had to download the driver and software from their sight. At least they provided updates! I have a Sony digital camcorder (many years old---uses Hi-8 tapes) that plugged in and played with no changes (at least on the Vista Home Premium).

My Canon printer worked immidiately but I had to jump through several hoops to get the thing to share printing on my home network. (seems Home edition has restricted network abilitites unless you get the info on changing your registry).

mach3

Is there anybody Running Alibre CAD/CAM with Mach3
    and does it work together well

I have the setup and using it with Mach3. It works fine, save a few small things.

When you export(post) the file using the Mach3 settings, it still sets the measurements to mm instead of the setting of inches. Easy fix though.

Second, there is a bug right now that causes some Nvidia based systems to not show the toolpath on the simulator. Other than that, it works great.

Cool ,they are going to get with me on Monday with some kind of online demo
    What do you cut, I am new to this and would like to cut some of the dino puzzles because they look cool but I can not get them to cut because the DXF files are to small and I don't know how to resize them
    Have any dino Gcodes?

Mainly aluminum, some mild steel plate. I mainly use my mill for brackets and things of that nature. I'm not sure about dino, I don't guess I now what they are?

I have had my Alibre for several months now and today I finally broke out the training CDs again. Man there is a lot to the software. I don't see how they made it so easy to use.