586,119 active members*
3,607 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Mach2 and its Yahoo forum.

Please don't read this if you don't want to be board to tears.

I have a suspicion I am going to go down a bad road I have already been down before. But I am so frustrated. I just cant help having a winge about this.

I heard that on the grape vine that Artsoft was coming out with a new breakout board that would allow high speed communication between the computer, and a new set of servo drivers, also soon to be released. So I decided to visit the Artsoft web site. In the news section it was only current up to 2003. There was no mention of this break out board.
    So I decided to visit the Artsoft forum at Yarpoo Geosh1ties, knowing that it was more up to date with all the gossip.

This is the bit that craps me off. I tried to log into yarpoo and it didn't remember my password, nor did I for that matter. So I sent a password request and it asked me my date of birth etc. Well who would give Yarpoo correct details anyway? ( Not me ) So obviously I cant remember the details I originally gave it. So now I can't log into that crappy server. It wont let me register again because it says that my email address is already used. So basically I am locked out for good.

I have asked this question before and had my head bitten off by many of the members of the Artsoft forum ( Not by Art, he was very polite and understanding) Why is a respectable company like Artsoft, using such a bullsheet forum like Yarpoo? Why cant they set up their own forum? On the Artsoft web site, it boasts 900 members. I wonder how many more it would have if it didn't use Yarpoo as its forum.

I may have worded my original post badly, but I tried to say that I was surprised that Artsoft would be using a forum that was basically for knitting clubs and boy scout chats. I look up to Artsoft as a great software developer, but it is an embarrassment that it uses Yarpoo. It is the equivalent of Mercedes Benz having a forum in Yarpoo. The two just don't go together.

Sorry, to bore you with my problems but I just had to get this off my chest.

EDIT: Before any one bites my head off , I want to stress that my beef is not with Artsoft or its products, It is only with thier choice of forum server.
    Being outside the square !!!

I will have to agree with you.

The yahoo forum has a lot to be desired. I enjoy forums such as this much more.

Yahoo forum? WTF is that?

I stay away from ANYTHING that starts with Ya and ends with hoo
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Beny
    'spose you could do like any number of others that have "forgotten" their passwords and open another email account - and enter that way?
    How else does MSN boaxst so many users!
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Benny, I think if you polled everyone on that "other" site, that probably half of them prefer that one. After your previous "incident" over there, Art asked if the list should be brought over here. A lot of people liked it the way it was. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that all the messages can be delivered to you in email. For whatever reasons, it's still there.

I think the items you are referring to are being developed by Gecko, not Art. Art is making Mach2 able to control it, though. Their is a support group called Geckodrive at , you guessed it, that other site.

As for web site passwords, what I really hate is when different places require usernames in different formats, so you can't use the same ones everywhere. Write them down, and don't lose them.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

One other thing. Look around here and see how many companies have direct support here on the CNC Zone. Not many. And of those that do, this is probably not there primary support area.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Artsoft

I am thrilled that Art stays with a mail list. I find them much perferable to this system. Now there are better places to have a mail list maybe but the Price is right on Yahoo.

And it isn't hard to set up a new Yahoo acount...

Garry

Re: Artsoft

Originally posted by gmfoster
    I am thrilled that Art stays with a mail list. I find them much perferable to this system. Now there are better places to have a mail list maybe but the Price is right on Yahoo.

And it isn't hard to set up a new Yahoo acount...

Garry
    In this day and age of spamming I would think it would get annoying. Also a pain if you want to search out info from past posts. Not to mention that every email comes with a in your face advertisement. "Preferable to this system" no in my opinion, and I've been using yahoo and forums for a number of years now. I think those guys are missing out in a forum like this can offer.

I agree with ynneb, using Yahoo is not a professional way to communicate with it's users, at the very least he could run his own board on his site.

But than again i'm a little bias.

I am thrilled that Art stays with a mail list. I find them much preferable to this system. Now there are better places to have a mail list maybe but the Price is right on Yahoo.
    Yes I guess the mailing list is good. However when I looked into receiving mails directly, I found that Yahoo had disabled that feature and wanted to charge for it to be enabled. Anyway that feature can also be incorporated into a private site as well.

Benny, I think if you polled everyone on that "other" site, that probably half of them prefer that one. After your previous "incident" over there, Art asked if the list should be brought over here. A lot of people liked it the way it was. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that all the messages can be delivered to you in email. For whatever reasons, it's still there.
    Everyone hates change. Look at some of the Iraqi people who are fighting to stay under a Saddam type government. The fear of the unknown can make people fight for the status quo.

A new forum could easily be ushered in. All it would mean is the current users would have to change the email address to upload their mail. How easy would that be.

Think of the advantages of having a self hosted forum.

1. No adds
    2. No spam mail that comes as a consequence of been a Yarpoo member.
    3. Far greater control over categorizing threads.
    4. Much better searching abilities. This will reduce repeated questions.
    5. Easier to log into, instead of having to setup Hotmail accounts to protect yourself.

One other thing. Look around here and see how many companies have direct support here on the CNC Zone. Not many. And of those that do, this is probably not there primary support area.
    I was not suggesting that the Artsoft forum be here on the Zone. However I know Paul has offered for it to be. I know Paul has also offered to help Art set up his own forum too, as a completely separate identity.

Benny
    'spose you could do like any number of others that have "forgotten" their passwords and open another email account - and enter that way?
    How else does MSN boast so many users!
    Isn't it sad to have to open a yahoo address, and a hot-mail address, just to be able to read the forum postings. At least on this site you can even read the threads without having to log into it.

Benny, I think if you polled everyone on that "other" site, that probably half of them prefer that one.
    You run a poll to elect a leader and not to direct the leader in every action he makes. Polls like this are inaccurate. The vocal ones are those who are opposed to change, the quiet ones are those who are ambivalent to new ideas.

Artsoft is far better than Yahoo. Come on guys!

Re: Re: Artsoft

Originally posted by CNCadmin
    In this day and age of spamming I would think it would get annoying. Also a pain if you want to search out info from past posts. Not to mention that every email comes with a in your face advertisement. "Preferable to this system" no in my opinion, and I've been using yahoo and forums for a number of years now. I think those guys are missing out in a forum like this can offer.

I agree with ynneb, using Yahoo is not a professional way to communicate with it's users, at the very least he could run his own board on his site.

But than again i'm a little bias.
    Well we don't get spammed much. I get no adverts on the email except one from Yahoo which is no worse than a signature file..

Well as it is, all we are paying for is Art,, not a lot of overhead costs plus he doesn't even moderate the list someone else does. I wouldn't be surprised taht if it ever becomes a finished product he might pretty the site up a little bit.

Actualy I see more Adverts here than I do Spam on Yahoo, but then I have yahoo Email the postiings and use Pegasus to read them.

What this has that is superior to the his mail list is inline pictures and attachments. But that could be turned on however everyone runs scared of that. I am not sure why as The 7x10 group has always allowed attachments and I have never been hit by a virus thru it.

Now I don't want to sound unappreciative of this effort because it is very valuable.

If I had to read the Yahoo Groups online then I would prefer this setup..

So thanks for this site.

Garry

[

Isn't it sad to have to open a yahoo address, and a hot-mail address, just to be able to read the forum postings. At least on this site you can even read the threads without having to log into it.
    End quote

I can't imagine why anyone would have to do that. I have had the same idenity on Yahoo Groups for years and have changed ISP's without ever having any problem with Yahoo groups.

And there is no cost to get the email..

As it a mail list all it takes is a suscribe message. You don't even have to go to Yahoo Groups..

I think there must be something you don't undertand about mail lists..

Garry

Re: Re: Re: Artsoft

Originally posted by gmfoster

Actualy I see more Adverts here than I do Spam on Yahoo, but then I have yahoo Email the postiings and use Pegasus to read them.

Garry
    Yes but this is a BIG difference, their are no ads to make your tally wacker bigger and 98% of the ads pertain to the site and it's information. Also you don't have to click past a ad to get to the info.

Paul I knew those email were about expanding something but I thought it was my "horizon"! As for the difference in the two forums, you couldn't pay me to have all those email come to my system. That may be well and good for guys on dsl or other fast connections but when you are on dialup you want to use the time you have doing what you want to do on the web not waiting for the emails to down load. I know you can minimize and continue surfing but on a dial up it sure slows things way down!

I read the Mach2 forums on line just like I do here. I prefer this forum and wish Art would either come here or make the change to one like this but I will continue to use his forums regardless.

I also think folks need to step back and take a hard look at what he has acomplished in such a short period of time. I dare say he would not have been able to do that if he had been moderating forums and such. I want to see him continue his development of new and affordable programs.

Mike

oh Paul, thank you again for a great site here.
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I also think folks need to step back and take a hard look at what he has acomplished in such a short period of time. I dare say he would not have been able to do that if he had been moderating forums and such. I want to see him continue his development of new and affordable programs.
    Here is where the subtle twisting begins. I do appreciate what he has achieved. I went to great lengths to say that. The next post will feed off your comments and slowly it will look like a thread where I criticized Art. I have praised Art, I just don't like Yahoo. It is inappropriate for his product.

While he does not moderate the site he makes lots of posts there. So whats the difference?

Originally posted by ynneb
    H

While he does not moderate the site he makes lots of posts there. So whats the difference?
    The difference is the time spent maintaining and paying for a forum.
    He would have to do the posting on either system, but a mail list is basically painless to keeep up.

And you can tell that overhead isn't something Art is fond of as behind as his web site gets.

This is the difference Art spends his time making his software do what his custyomers want while many others spend a lot of time and money convinceing you thier software is the answer to every problem with out ever actually answering a question or adding a requested feature. I prefer Art keep his sights on the program.

I subscribe to about 30 yahoo groups so Arts leaving would only mean I'd have to learn a new method of following his progress.

His registrations are above 1000 now so he must be doing something right.

What every one seems to hate about mail groups is what I always considered one of thier biggest features. When on dial up I could start the email program download everything and then get offline and read everything at my leisure with out tying up a line. Take it with me to a motel on a laptop with out having to fight thier silly phone sysytems. I really prefer to do everything as non netwprked as possible. One reason I hate web mail type programs. And my company just set up all thier offsite employees on web mail only. Hate it!..

Just like here you respond in the silly little window without a spell checker. But I can send an emotion..
    Garry

Just for you I'm working on a daily digest hack to email all the posts that you subscribe to, emailed to you just like Yahoo.

Originally posted by CNCadmin
    Just for you I'm working on a daily digest hack to email all the posts that you subscribe to, emailed to you just like Yahoo.
    Paul
    I hope your kidding. Don't do it just for me. I dislike digests more than web based software. I would be as bad as every one else and quote the whole digest..

I mean this forum is pretty good some of the ones I visit don't have the goto unread function. That feature and the Forum already seperating all the threads or subjests with new posts make this pretty nice. I haven't been trying to put it down, its just that I don't see what there is not to like about mail lists...

Besides I used a little used Yahoo acount to sign up to this list and it emails all the stuff to a web based account I rarely acess. I used it because I dodn't kow how much spam signing onto this would cause. I think I can say none so far.
    Thats good!

Garry

Smile

Unless something has changed and I will check it out to be sure I am accurate, you "do not" have to have a Yahoo ID to view posts on the Mach1Mach2 group. The public has access to all current posts as well as the archive. You have to have a Yahoo ID to access the Photo and file sections.

Alan T.
    (Mach1,Mach2) List Mom

Yes but this is a BIG difference, their are no ads to make your tally wacker bigger and 98% of the ads pertain to the site and it's information. Also you don't have to click past a ad to get to the info.
    Actually, there was a post on the Mach2 group (I believe that's where I got it) that disables all the ads over there. In there place, there is an "add not found or something" message, but you don't have to wait for adds to load.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Hey ynneb I wasn't ragging on you guy. I know what you meant about the appearence of such a great product having a yyooo forum. I agree with gmfoster on this one though. I much prefer that Art support his customers that worry abou teither his site or his forum. He mostly spends time on the forum to take care of bugs in the program. I dare say it is probably more efficient to do it that way than by ph calls or individual emails. Let me end by saying, "sometimes I spell ryght and sumtimes I can't...........er don't".

Oh yes gm, sometimes I want to tie up my ph lines .

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Page 1 of 2 12