586,119 active members*
3,460 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Solidworks 2007 drawings, auto dimension is terrible..

Solidworks 2007 drawings, auto dimension is terrible..

I have been using Solidworks for about a year now and I'm very frustrated with the fact that I sit there and spend a bunch of time creating a 3d model, then I need to generate a 2d drawing from the model to give to my machinist and when I make the drawing I have to manually enter in all the dimensions. When I use the auto dimension it puts crazy dimensions in weird spots, making it virtually useless to give to a machinist for him to set up his cnc machine with. So it's like doing double work for me, first I create a 3d model, then I generate drawing views off of that model BUT then I have to manually enter in all the dimensions because the auto dimension insert is TERRIBLE!

It makes me almost think I should just draw in 2d to begin with and it would save me a ton of time.

Does anybody know if they are improving these things in Solidworks 2008?

2008 is greatly improved in this area.. they have a function in 2008 [at the part leve] which lets you set datum's [first, second and third] and will dimension every attribute on the model form these datum's.. I haven't used it yet but it looks like it's greatly improved..

I haven't loaded 2008 as I'm waiting for them to bring out a couple fix's in there next sp.. weldments in drawing and cut list's are all kinda messed up.. they are fixing it and it should be out shortly.. if they haven't already fixed it..

I'm using some obscure twist's w/ weldments so this may not be a problem for everyone..

Anyway.. I can't wait to try out 2008 in a few weeks or less!
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

jerry can you explain a bit more detail on the new datum feature.. like what does this mean?

Squal, we know that when we detail a part, we generally select edges of a part [or hole centers] which other dimensions are referenced to. The datum feature is used to select these features to reference from. Say you were doing a machined part, and a set of holes are to be referenced from the left side and top edges.. You'd select the two faces which correspond to these edges and the program will put in a dimension so that a fabricator could manufacture every feature of the part.. you can check and make sure there are no features not covered [the part will show all green if it's dimensioned.. yellow if a facing or feature isn't and red if something is missing completely..]

Like I said.. I haven't used it yet.. but it's an improvement over the 2007 and earlier system.. btw, when using the old way.. you have to make sure you draw things as they would be measured when manufacturing it.. this will elliminate some of the 'strange' dimensions that a person gets... kinda garbage in, garbage out..

HTH
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Squale
    You are using: insert model items (from entire model), in your drawing doc, to get the dims in that you used in your part?

What Jerry is talking about, is the new DimXpert. It allows you to setup different dimension schemes for your models. It actually looks at your model as pure geometry (no features) and insert dims (with tolerances) according to the datums you are prompted for.

This then create annotation views that you can pull onto your drawing, with the relevant dims for that specific view.

If you got a premium seat of SW you can do a tolerance stack up, seeing the min and max effects of the part tolerances on your assembly. This is called TolAnalyst.

It will be interesting to hear if people are using DimXpert and how they find it.

ED

do you only use Dimexpert in the drawing mode? I have only used it in the drawing mode, choose a datum and then click on points or lines and it dimensions it on the drawing view. But what if you use Dimexpert on the model view BEFORE a drawing is even made... will it help there? I don't understand it's use in putting dimensions on the MODEL view..

Squale

I think the difference is that you apply your datums in 3d on the model when setting up your auto dim scheme and you can verify tolerance status to see if all your features and faces are dimensioned, by colour coding the model.
    You will see it displays the dims on the model flat to the planes it is referencing, but makes more sense when you pull the annotation views in to the drawing, just remember to tick the import dimXpert Annotations option, in top halve of the view pallet.

I'm also not to convinced about the use yet, but I have chatted to guys with older proE models they want to pull in to SW and dimension for production. They seemed to be excited about the dimXpert.

Thats why I would like to hear comments from people finding use for it.

is it quicker to add Dimxpert annotations on the 3d model view and then just pull them into a drawing view, versus just make a drawing view and then manually put the Dimxpert dimensions onto the drawing view at that time?

dont know, I'm not using it a lot. Just think there is suppose to be some extra features available in the model. Plus the tolerance stackup if you got Premium