586,121 active members*
3,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Cheapest place to buy measuring equipment like Height Guage, etc.?

Cheapest place to buy measuring equipment like Height Guage, etc.?

I am looking to buy a few new pieces of measuring equipment. I need a height guage (about 18", digital preferred), granite surface plate (about 2' x 2'), some radius guages, etc.

I usually get a lot of stuff from McMasterCar but there has to be cheaper places online to buy this stuff. I looked on ebay and there is lots of stuff there but honestly I don't trust a lot of used measuring stuff because it could be out of adjustment and I can't afford to draw unaccurate parts.

Thanks

Call J&L Industrial/MSC, usually they will beat any price.

Cheap plates and height gages? Enco
    Get on their mailing list and wait for it to go on sale.
    Seems like they run a special on plates every month.
    As much as I love McMaster (I order from them 3-4 times a week) don't buy measuring equipment from them. You'll pay too much.
    Bob
    You can always spot the pioneers -- They're the ones with the arrows in their backs.

Like he said , wait for the sale flyer . I got an Enco 18 X 24 X4 granite slab for $89 and have no worries . Told the wife to use it as my tombstone , that way it will be a deductable shop expense , and I can screw the gov one last time .
    I did find that quality was a bit lacking though .. I have 2 flat surfaces but not necessarily parallel to each other . Had to make tapered wood shims to get it to set level . No big deal , this is the shop "utility " plate .

Man! I just looked at those prices . That is cheaper than 10 years ago . But I bet the frieght will be a fright !

Well Freight Height sure have many cheap stuff but they all make in China.... the stuff won't last you more then 3 month. If you want good and decent tool with nice price go with Enco and I recommend Penntools, most never heard about them but they have a lot of nice quality brand for much less. One for a while they have offer 70% on Mitutoyo measuring equipment. Check it out.
    The best way to learn is trial error.