586,096 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 8 678
    Thanks for the nudge Java...

I've made a little progress on the electronics. The connectors I ordered have arrived and I've installed them into the enclosure and wired it all up.

I've also re-done the ends of the stepper motors with the matching 6-pin connectors.

On the bottom of the enclosure, I mounted some bolts so I can mount it to the side of router's cabinet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0264.jpg   DSCF0265.jpg   DSCF0269.jpg  

Here are a few shots of the wiring done on the inside of the enclosure.

In addition, I almost have the work table of the cnc router bolted down. I just have to make another trip to the hardware store for some longer bolts.(chair)

Once that is done, I need to turn down the lead screw of the y-axis and finish up the z-axis.

It's been hard to focus on my CNC project lately because I recently purchased 2 chevelles on ebay and have been focusing on transporting them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0266.jpg   DSCF0267.jpg   DSCF0268.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by mvaughn
    Thanks for the nudge Java...
    No problem! :wave:

Any pictures of the Z-axis thus far?

A friend of mine had a classic Chevelle, it kept him busy...I can only imagine what a pair of them will do to the Free-Time-O-Meter!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Sorry Java, the z-axis is still unfinished.

However, I've silently been working on my router in the evenings when I found time, and now I have a milestone to report.

The X and Y axis' are now complete. Electronics turned out to be a major hurdle that I had to rethink. It turns out that my PC power supply was not able to handle driving or having more that one motor connected. It would just shut down totally whenever I had more than one motor connected.

This turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because after ordering a 24 volt power supply from MPJA, I now have the X and Y axis' running at 30ipm. A major improvement over the 12ipm from before. Heat seems to be more of an issue now. Nothing that a few heatsinks and fans can't fix.

I've also realized that I'm going to actually need limit switches on this router. Before I could stall the motors when I ran out of travel... Now I can't stop the gantry by hand, and don't want to see what happens if I let it crash into the end of it's travel.

Revived from the depths

Anyone remember me?

It's been a loooooooooong time since I've been able to put any work into my cnc router. I'm determined to get this thing working before it's 3 year anniversary arrives.

I think I'm ready to finish it off so I can put it to use building a modified Joe's or Lionclaw router.

Looks like there is a whole new crew of guys here and a mix of older familiar names as well. It's good to be back.

Only yesterday I realized I had not seen a post about your machine in a long time. Good to see you are back and finishing the machine.

Jason

Welcome back! Good to see you again my friend.

I know the feeling,
    Steve

Lol... it's good to be back.

Last week I dug my cnc router project out of my rented storage unit. I've moved 3 times in the past year and didn't want to pack it around. I'd forgotten how heavy MDF can be.

I'm going to have to take inventory on it and see what I need to do to finish it up. If memory serves, the x, y, and z axis are complete. The electronics are complete. I need to build a PC for mach3. I need a refresher course in CAD, CAM and gcode.

I've been eyeing Cambams cam software and think I'll give it a try. Is anyone else using it?

I made a little progress on getting the router all setup. I was dying to get it all hooked up and see if it still moved. Knowing my luck it would have seized up after being in storage for over a year. The good news is that it still works!!!

I know the picture is a little blurry. All I have is a cell phone camera at the moment. It's 100% complete except for making sure it's square and devising some way of holding parts down.

Now if I can only find my endmills...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 060207_17061.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by mvaughn View Post
    I've been eyeing Cambams cam software and think I'll give it a try. Is anyone else using it?
    I've been giving it a bit of a thrash. It's not bad. The guy that wrote it sounds like a bit of a fruit loop though! :rainfro:

Good to see you back on the case!

MikeF's got his up and running...right...we just need to give JavaDog a bit of a stick poke now...:stickpoke

Quote Originally Posted by 10bulls View Post
    I've been giving it a bit of a thrash. It's not bad. The guy that wrote it sounds like a bit of a fruit loop though! :rainfro:

Good to see you back on the case!

MikeF's got his up and running...right...we just need to give JavaDog a bit of a stick poke now...:stickpoke
    Haha!!

I'm self taught when it comes to CAD and I find your cambam program very intuitive. I did have a problem with milling a pocket. It seemed that it left a little triangular piece when cutting out a T-shaped pocket. I can't wait for your next version.

(nuts)

What? JavaDog where ya hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by mvaughn View Post
    ...I did have a problem with milling a pocket. It seemed that it left a little triangular piece when cutting out a T-shaped pocket. I can't wait for your next version.
    Yes, later versions will address that problem.
    Usually, reducing the stepover distance will make these go away (stepover is a % of the cutter diameter). Setting the ShowCutWidths=True machining property will help you spot these.

So what you planning to make next?

Quote Originally Posted by 10bulls View Post
    Usually, reducing the stepover distance will make these go away (stepover is a % of the cutter diameter). Setting the ShowCutWidths=True machining property will help you spot these.

So what you planning to make next?
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

At the moment I'm putting cambam through its paces cutting out all the parts for my 2nd router. I'm too focused on the next router to make anything else.

Exclamation

I see that you have connected the HP steppers to the RED box and added connectors to the steppers. What is the sequence for connecting your steppers? I have the same ones, but not sure of the wiring since the colors don't seem to match any diagrams that I have seen.

I also have those exact same steppers. Bought them on ebay last year after I stumbled uon the Zone and got bit by the bug. Got side tracked for a while but have started planning again. Any info you can give on hooking them up will be greatly appreciated. Are you still using the 24V power supply? I have two 24V 7.2A power supplies I got from ebay that were pulled from some kind of machine, although I need to check the actual output. I was told I would probably need higher volts. How has yours been doing with 24V? Also, did you ever upgrade to one of Phil's drivers like you had planned? That is what I was thinking about using for mine. I am thinking about doing a machine based on the one at www.buildyourcnc.com with a few changes inspired by things I have seen on the Zone. I was not sure if the motors would be big enough for it but your machine is slightly larger than what I have planned so I am enthusiastically hopefull.

Page 8 of 8 678