586,106 active members*
3,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Newbie looking for first lathe recommendations

Newbie looking for first lathe recommendations

Hi, I am justing getting into metal machining. I bought an older Sheldon 13x56 lathe and an older Bridgeport mill several months ago and have learned quite a bit.

Now I would like to learn to design and machine using CAD/CAM software.

Is it possible and worth converting these 40+ year machines to CNC?

If not, I'd like to start with a bench top CNC lathe. Can anyone make some recommendations as to what machine I should look for.

I am not sure if I should buy a used CNC lathe or another used lathe and convert it to CNC.

Thoughts...?

Paul

CNC conversion of a manual lathe

Hi Paul,

Here is a site that offers what appear to be quality manual-to-cnc upgrade parts and kits. I was considering doing the same thing with a 12'"-14" manual lathe. It looks like these conversions do use G code and M codes, so this would allow either manual programming or using MasterCaM or the equivalent to create programs.

http://www.microkinetics.com/convkit.htm

I have a Slant 1 cnc lathe and a Matsuura 510v cnc mill here in my shop. I normally use Mastercam to create my programs, then use a post processor to create the machine code required by the Fanuc or Yasnac controllers. I am not a machinist by trade (I am an Engineer - mech/electrical). I did have experience using manual lathes and mills (I have a 12" Craftsman/Atlas and a Burke mill-rite) before I purchased my CNC equipment (used 1-owner machines). I learned CNC programming by reading a few books, and I learned Mastercam by reading the Mastercam books and working thru the example programs.

I also sometimes use my CNC machines in manual mode. They have digital readouts on the dispay and can be very handy sometimes. This would be one consideration if you only had one lathe (or mill). That is - it would be much more convenient if a single machine can be used in CNC mode or operated manually as well. I am not sure if this is possible with the particular kits I refered to above.

Here is a link to my shop tools - if you are interested:

http://home.earthlink.net/~adbuch/id36.html

I hope this information helps.

David

David, Thank you for the reply. I am very impressed with your shop and workmanship.

The lathe I have has DRO and it would be nice to add CNC. I'll have to see how much I can afford.

Thanks again.

pwp