586,076 active members*
3,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Quick change tool holder and milling questions

Quick change tool holder and milling questions

Hello,

Not too long ago I got myself the 10x18 lathe from BusyBee. I'm one of those newbs that hasn't used a lathe since highschool (about 15yrs ago) so I'm not what I would call handy with it... at all. I'm new to this forum as well and I've done some looking around and am blown away by the ideas shared here! I'm gonna like it here!

Now, I have a couple questions. The sales guy sold me this quick change system and told me it was for my lathe. When I got it home and out of the package it seems much too small and I'd have to drill it out to use the same lock-down handle as well as add a spacer to raise it up. It seem odd to me to have to fool around like this to use a part that was supposedly made for my lathe. Did he steer me wrong?

Also I'd like to do some simple milling on my lathe. I was directed to buy a large angle bracket and a vise, of course it's up to me to figure out how to put it together to make it work and I knew that before buying it. I'm just curious if there is some info around for the best way to set this up.

Thanks for any help,
    Ryan

I dont know the lathe you but i would imagine something more along the lines of this would be more suitable for the quick change tool post http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...2271&category=
    and somthing like this for a milling attachment.
    http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...2894&category=

I have been to busy bee before a few years ago when I was in BC visiting, seemed to me like it was hit and miss as far as how knowledgable the staff there was. I am sure there will be many other options for you lathe than just what they recommended.

Dan
    www.kosracing.com

GrahamC Guest
    Ryan,

I have the same lathe and I do like it's features, not the fanciest but seems good and solid and good value for the money.

I also have the QCTP that you purchased. it is not specically for that lathe but rathe a generic type of product. I made a 3/8" thick spacer to fit under the QCTP and the compound slide to get the tool holders where I wanted them. Simple and easy to do.

You may also need to install a new tool post holder bolt which is also easy to do, I used a 10mm hex head bolt with the head trimmed to fit. ( I can go into futher detail if you desire).

I like this particular QCTP, it is solid and rigid. Only issue at the moment is that Busy Bee has been having a difficult time getting tool holders. I have two and that is very limiting.

I have been a user of a small Taig lathe for many years and I had an A2Z brand QCTP on it. I have since modified it to fit the Busy Bee 10x18 and it works just fine as well. It is not the most expensive QCTP, is made of aluminum and is perhaps not as rigid as either the one you purchased or the larger one that Busy Bee sells. It does work very well on 10x18 lathe however.

I am working out some details on what I want to do with regards to a milling adapter for my lathe, lots of ideas but nothing really firm for the moment.

I haved attached a photo of the A2Z QCTP on my lathe to give you some idea.

The QCTP tool post you purchased is a good on, you will just have to take some time to sort out the fine details.

One other thing you should consider is to replace some of the bolts and set screws etc that came with the lathe with new parts, the original parts are sometimes a bit soft, new good quality bolts etc will last and work better. Do it in stages. I am still going through my lathe and upgrading as I go. I am still using it to do other work but gradually working my through different parts to clean up, tidy up and put everything into better alignment.

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails QCTP_A2Z_001.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    Hello,
    Now, I have a couple questions. The sales guy sold me this quick change system and told me it was for my lathe. When I got it home and out of the package it seems much too small and I'd have to drill it out to use the same lock-down handle as well as add a spacer to raise it up. It seem odd to me to have to fool around like this to use a part that was supposedly made for my lathe. Did he steer me wrong?
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamC View Post
    Ryan,

I like this particular QCTP, it is solid and rigid. Only issue at the moment is that Busy Bee has been having a difficult time getting tool holders. I have two and that is very limiting.
    Look at this ->

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95130
    The post has the same specs as the Busybee

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95131
    Now this one is slightly bigger

GrahamC Guest
    Yes indeed very similar and the holders are probably compatible,

Wholesale tools also list a similar QCTP but they haven't answered any of my half dozen emails so I am looking elsewhere.

I will add the Harbour Freight links to my list and one I measure things up I may just go ahead an get a few from them.

Thanks, Graham